Cessna 170 Accident Discussions #1

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Cessna 170 Accident Discussions #1

Post by GAHorn »

I am initiating this post in the hope that we can discuss (without undue personal criticisms of operators) accidents in Cessna 170 aircraft. I hope to post the reports of accidents that can assist us in avoiding making the same mistakes.

Here’s the First one:

Date: 03-FEB-1957
Time: c. 1700
Type: Silhouette image of generic C170 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different
Cessna 170B
Owner/operator: Hawera Aero Club
C/n / msn: 27112
Fatalities: Fatalities: 1 / Occupants: 1
Other fatalities: 0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location: 150 yards W. of Hawera Aerodrome, Taranaki - New Zealand
Phase: Approach
Nature: Training
Departure airport: NZHA
Destination airport: NZHA
Narrative:
An experienced pilot was making his first solo flight in a Cessna 170 after 45 minutes of conversion dual instruction.
On final approach, and at a height of 100 to 150 feet, the aircraft was seen to suddenly pitch nose down and dive into the ground at an angle of 50 degrees and an estimated speed of 70 m.p.h.
The Cessna was completely destroyed by the impact and the pilot was killed instantly. The plane did not catch fire.

The pilot was a former Royal New Zealand Air Force pilot ( 1942-1945 ) who had accumulated 602 hours of Service flying, mainly in fighters. He had seen service in the Burma theatre of operations.
Early in 1945 he had complained to the Air Force medical authorities of symptoms which included nervousness, dizziness, and a feeling of impending " blackout " when under stress. As a result he was grounded from further flying and subsequently released from RNZAF service.

In mid-January 1957 he applied for a Student Pilot Licence and did not reveal his grounding by the Air Force when taking the required medical examination. His previous history was not picked up by Air Department staff and the licence was issued.

Cessna 170B ZK-BQH had demonstrated some abnormal flight characteristics during its time with the Hawera Aero Club. The aircraft tended to oscillate gently in pitch when in straight and level flight and at times the nose would suddenly pitch down. Several pilots reported difficulty in trimming the aircraft to fly level. The Aero Club engineer had tried to remedy the problems with little apparent success.

In his report the Chief Inspector of Accidents advised that the reason for the sudden dive was probably due to the abnormal behaviour of the aircraft, and expressed his regret that the aircraft's operators had not sought the expert advice of the civil aviation authorities in their attempts to correct the difficulties being experienced.
The Chief Inspector concluded that pilot incapacitation was not a factor in the crash, but cited the pilot's failure to disclose his full history to the medical practitioner who conducted the physical examination for the issue of a student pilot licence.

Edward Joseph Caskey R.I.P.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Jr.CubBuilder

Re: Cessna 170 Accident Discussions #1

Post by Jr.CubBuilder »

“ Cessna 170B ZK-BQH had demonstrated some abnormal flight characteristics during its time with the Hawera Aero Club. The aircraft tended to oscillate gently in pitch when in straight and level flight and at times the nose would suddenly pitch down. Several pilots reported difficulty in trimming the aircraft to fly level. The Aero Club engineer had tried to remedy the problems with little apparent success.“

8O
That’s not good. Makes one wonder if the front attach point for the horizontal was compromised.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It’s unfortunate the report was not more specific as to the findings. My first thought was the elevator-trim-tab system. I’ve seen a number of airplanes with excessive trim tab “play” or looseness in regular service. I would not tolerate a loose trim tab or actuator sloppiness.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bat443

Post by bat443 »

My take away from this is the risk associated with "carrying" maintenance problems. A problem had been reported by several members of the club, the reason could not be found, and the problems was not repaired. And yet rather than ground the airplane the club continued to carry the problem until a pilot who was not as familiar with the aircraft or the problem paid with his life. Unfortunately in general aviation it seems to be quite common for pilots and/or aircraft owners to carry a problem to the next scheduled maintenance event, be that annual, 100 hour, or oil change.

Tim
3958v

Post by 3958v »

I read the report and wondered if the pilot might have been using full flaps and slipped. The accident seems to follow the trajectory I have heard that can happen if a slip is attempted with full flaps in the B model. Bill K

t
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug