Anti-Theft Security

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dstates

Anti-Theft Security

Post by dstates »

My 170A doors do not have functioning locks at the moment. I hope to improve that situation this winter (and I know that even then it is not very secure). I assume I'm not the only one in this situation. It hasn't bothered me yet as I'm not concerned about someone stealing the entire plane or my antique radio. However, I'm in the midst of adding some expensive equipment to the panel that only requires a small hex driver to remove. What steps are others using to secure their aircraft and/or their avionics? I'm less concerned about at my home airport, but during overnight stays elsewhere.

Thanks,
Doug
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
GAHorn

Re: Anti-Theft Security

Post by GAHorn »

I don’t have a picture... but hopefully this description will suffice....

A flat piece of stainless-steel, sufficiently long to stretch across the cockpit from right window to left window one-inch-wide... with an “L” and “T” shaped onto one end, with the right-side window closed upon it (the T being outside the window thereby keeping it from being opened)... and the left end with a hole in it for a padlock placed outside the left side window.... not only prevents the doors from being opened... but also the windows. Even if the door hinge-pins are removed the doors will not be removable without serious effort ... (and admittedly, damage.)

However, a more useful and likely better method.... is to order a Cabin Cover for your airplane from Bruce’s , etc to keep prying eyes out...and the cover requires manipulation to open the doors. https://www.aircraftcovers.com/170#13
Attachments
CLICK to ENLARGE
CLICK to ENLARGE
CLICK to ENLARGE
CLICK to ENLARGE
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)