New European member and future owner to be

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Flytastic

New European member and future owner to be

Post by Flytastic »

Hi and thank you for accepting me as new member to the association and to the forum.

I am 42 years old, based in southern Germany, holding a EASA PPL/IR license, and just working through the EASA CPL.
I felt in love with the Cessna 170 early in my Pilots career, even before I ever flew one, just by the looks of it. After the first flight with a 170B I was convinced that one day I will own one myself, and that I will take my boy camping across Europe. I have access to a beautiful 1978 182Q, which I use for IFR and cross-country flights, but it´s not my own and it’s not a tailwheel aircraft.
This day of owning a 170 actually seems to come very close, and I am in contact with a Europe based seller of a 1956 170B - actually one of the very last serial numbers.
The aircraft has been fully restored and kept as original as possible, which I really appreciate.

I hope to learn from this group

- any other European owners - I only know one other aircraft in Germany, and of course the seller of the aircraft.
- the do ´s and don’ts of a 170 ownership
- what to look at when doing a pre-buy inspection.
- useful mods without compromising the original appearance
- being used to the speed of the 182 - how do you compare the way of traveling when taking the 170?
- which lessons did you learn when buying your first 170
- opinion on a realistic pricing for a fully restored aircraft.

What I can contribute to the Group:
- I am a Garmin Aviation sales rep, so any questions on Avionics... let me know. Happy to help.
- questions about flying in Europe or EASA regulations...
- any other relevant topics such as beer and food. :)

Thanks for having me
Flytastic
Kevin Pearce

Re: New European member and future owner to be

Post by Kevin Pearce »

Hello

Welcome to the forum, you will find a wealth of knowledge and good advice here.

It took me a year to find my 1953 170B, and then have it de-rigged and shipped to England. I put it back together myself, so learned about the aircraft as I worked. Buying in Europe will save the diss-assembly and shipping costs and some VAT. The UK allows vintage cars / planes to pay 5% VAT.

Nice mods are tail pull handles and shoulder harnesses.

Still getting used to my 170B but can tell you that it is very admired and we love flying it.

Regards

Kevin
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Welcome to the 170 Association and forums! Our online membership directory lists six members with country code DE, five of whom list having airplanes. (You are the sixth?)

I’ve had my 170 since 1982, and I’d have to say the my favorite mod for convenience is the baggage door. Sure beats having to heft suitcases, duffle bags, and camping gear over the back seat. For safety, my favorite is the inertia reel shoulder harnesses from BAS. They allow you to reach the flap handle without slipping out of or loosening your harness just when you may need it most.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

WilLKOMMEN!
The 170 will not compete well with the 182 for cruise speed... the 182 cruises at 140 kts and the 170 at 105 kts.... but the fuel consumption is less on a per-hour basis (8 U.S. GPH for the 170 vs 12 for the 182).... less difference on a per mile basis. The Maintenance costs on a per-hour basis is considerably lower for a 170 however. The 170 IS more FUN to fly, however, and certainly has more sex-appeal, IMO.

My favorite mods have been the baggage door, tail-pull handles, Cleveland brakes (probably already performed on your aircraft because the original Goodyear brakes were not popular), instrument panel lighting (I do a lot of night-flying), Spin On Oil Filter adaptor, and dual land/taxi lights (again, I fly a lot at night and my private runway is in a very dark, remote area.).

Here are a couple of pics of my instrument lighting, accomplished using “Grain of Rice” lights attached to the backside of the false-panel using a hot-glue gun and 24 ga wire (modular phone cord.). I accomplished this with about $30 of materials and a couple hours on my kitchen table. I used 3 GOR lamps on the 3” instruments and 2 GOR lamps on the smaller instruments. This was signed off as a “minor alteration” as it did not replace, but only supplanted the original lighting. Click on the individual pics to ENLARGE.
Without the overhead Grimes torpedo lights
Without the overhead Grimes torpedo lights
WITH the overhead Grimes torpedo lights ON
WITH the overhead Grimes torpedo lights ON
NO Lighting on at all (Sorry, I failed to take a pic with just the original overhead lights on
NO Lighting on at all (Sorry, I failed to take a pic with just the original overhead lights on
This pic was taken with a cheap camera...the edges of the door are NOT ragged but are perfectly smooth
This pic was taken with a cheap camera...the edges of the door are NOT ragged but are perfectly smooth
D2F5B9AE-8FE9-4318-B1C6-6F555076E8F5.jpeg (31.52 KiB) Viewed 3807 times
163AAA2A-47FA-461D-B606-353EE1526E2C.jpeg
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Vertical

Post by Vertical »

So how do you originality nuts justify the baggage door?

A few favorite mods:
Climb prop -Although it won't help your 182 speed comparison.
Bushwheels -Landing on marshmallows is awesome.
Extended baggage -Wife and I regular sleep in the plane, especially en route at more urban airports where you don't want to pitch a tent...It's good for long/big items like skis and bikes.
New windshield and bubble side windows -I can't understate how nice it is to have a clear view...

Good luck, I'm not sure you can beat the 170 as a 2 person adventure plane for you and your son, and a legitimate 4 person hauler for short hops.

Oh yeah...to a fellow beer lover, alway keep a growler in the plane for when your lucky enough to find breweries near airports..We've discovered quite a few options in WA.
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

I think there is a guy in Chambery who has a 170. Ill see if I can find his details and PM you.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
170C

Post by 170C »

Welcome aboard! You have joined a great organization with much information that will be helpful. While not as necessary in your country as it is in many areas of the US, getting rid of the non opening window on the passenger door is definitely a BIG +. Send us some photos.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Vertical wrote:So how do you originality nuts justify the baggage door?
You missed that “(mostly)”. :twisted:

That “mostly” modifies my preference. :mrgreen:

While this is probably a thread hi-jack (might make a new thread)... Here’s my thoughts on why I “mostly” prefer “originality”:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15401
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Flytastic

Post by Flytastic »

170C wrote:Welcome aboard! You have joined a great organization with much information that will be helpful. While not as necessary in your country as it is in many areas of the US, getting rid of the non opening window on the passenger door is definitely a BIG +. Send us some photos.
Thanks.. appreciate all your comments and support. pictures of the aircraft will follow when it´s mine....:)

So far that´s one from a recent test flight.

Fabian
Attachments
2091FB4F-4280-48C0-B83F-A5F37E7D8045.jpeg
Flytastic

Post by Flytastic »

daedaluscan wrote:I think there is a guy in Chambery who has a 170. Ill see if I can find his details and PM you.
That would be great. Chambery is a great place to go...
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

Flytastic wrote:
daedaluscan wrote:I think there is a guy in Chambery who has a 170. Ill see if I can find his details and PM you.
That would be great. Chambery is a great place to go...
I seem to have lost his email, but he is on the Facebook 170 group. Pierre Andre Pochon.

He just posted a video of a nice fall flight.

Charlie
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019