New owner

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

motoadve

New owner

Post by motoadve »

Bought my new to me 170B 1953, 180HP, MT prop, Sportsman STOL, 31" tires, all cables, fuel lines, electrical system are new, new paint, new interior, even new pilot 8O (just 1.5 hrs tailwheel time), airplane was fully restored 245hrs ago, has most of the mods my 182 has, need to add Vgs, Alpha Systems angle of attack indicator and extended baggage.

Flew it, like it a lot (felt nose heavy though) like the 31" tires, its like landing on pillows, 120mph cruise speed.
Any tricks or advice about the 170 are welcomed, although I will be training with Jughead , so cant ask for a better teacher.
Instrument panel looks nice but location of instruments is a bit strange (need to relocate them).
Very excited about this 170, should be fun.
Link to pictures.

https://www.aircraft.com/aircraft/19394 ... cessna-170
DaveF

Re: New owner

Post by DaveF »

Nice! Congratulations!

Great to have all that resto work done. Yeah, that instrument layout has to go, but the airplane is perfect for the kind of flying you do! I can't wait to see your videos in it.

Interesting airspeed indicator -- it goes to 200, but still seems to have a lot of resolution at the low end, where you'll be spending a lot of time. I don't have any STOL mods and still find the airplane is well-behaved below 50 IAS. Of course, with an AoA, you may not look at the ASI at all.

My only advice for flying a 170 is something you already know -- land slower!

Have fun!

By the way, if you want some non-wheelpants axle nuts, let me know. I bought a sack of them at OSH a few years ago and would be happy to send you a couple.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Flight instruments are in standard six pack layout except that airspeed and directional gyro are swapped. Wonder if DG interfered with control column when placed where airspeed indicator is now?
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

motoadve wrote:, I will be training with Jughead , so cant ask for a better teacher.).
Well...you can always ASK.... (just don’t expect much in the way of replies...). :lol:

Congrats and Welcome!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
dstates

Post by dstates »

That's a beautiful looking plane and some great mods, too.

I've seen the ad for this plane for a little while and always wondered something about the restoration... Can you tell me if they replaced the control column pulleys, cables, chains and sprockets after it was painted? It seems odd to me to paint that area with those parts still installed.

Have fun with it!

Doug
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
motoadve

Post by motoadve »

Doug, everything was replaced, was fully restored.
170C

Post by 170C »

Shape looking plane! Know you will enjoy it. When a shop does this extensive work to a vintage Cessna I am always curious why they didn't go ahead and change out that T-Bar control column so there wouldn't be any issues with instruments or a center stack set up.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
FredL

Post by FredL »

Looking forward to some good videos from you and jughead
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

170C wrote:Shape looking plane! Know you will enjoy it. When a shop does this extensive work to a vintage Cessna I am always curious why they didn't go ahead and change out that T-Bar control column so there wouldn't be any issues with instruments or a center stack set up.
Because it can turn into a BIG legal issue. (The company that promotes that in a “kit” actually has no approval basis for it )
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

n2582d wrote:Flight instruments are in standard six pack layout except that airspeed and directional gyro are swapped. Wonder if DG interfered with control column when placed where airspeed indicator is now?
If the airplane still has the original control tee, you won’t be able to install that DG where that airspeed indicator is now; the DG WILL interfere with he tee. You might be able to install G5, GI275, or AV30 in that spot.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne