New Member in CT

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ryan Smith

Re: New Member in CT

Post by Ryan Smith »

mmcmillan2 wrote:20 degrees is my go to landing config. If I’m too high on final, I’ll use more flaps. 40 degrees is perfect for Stuka style descents :lol:

I really like 10 flaps on takeoff in the B model, but sometimes will run zero for a long elegant takeoff.

And I land 3 pointers 99% of the time. It does wheelies just fine though.

The plane really does great in all configurations.
Unless it’s super windy, I always land with 40° of flap with a wheel landing. 65MPH indicated on final.

Opinions are like...well, you know. I’ve flown my airplane for 75% of my life, and that’s what consistently works well for me, and that’s what I teach. I never do a three-point landing unless I’m teaching a student.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Ryan Smith wrote:[

Opinions are like...well, you know.....
Tasteless reference... but in any event, I don’t think we’re discussing “opinions” as much as “techniques”. :wink:

Flying is more an art-form and less a science. (That... is an opinion.) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

GAHorn wrote:Tasteless reference...
Uh, yeah, like this?
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9342&p=142955
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

DaveF wrote:
GAHorn wrote:Tasteless reference...
Uh, yeah, like this?
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=9342&p=142955
Touche’...but posted in Member’s Intercom ....in a topic Titled “Humor”.....not in a public area.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
JSwift

Post by JSwift »

So back to the welcomes, Drew thanks for helping to put on the Waterbury fly in. I think we met on Sunday afternoon when I flew in with my son Mike. Please let me know if you are ever coming by Skylark. Love to come out and say hello. Sounds like we are starting to have a pretty good group of 170 flyers in the area. As Stan said there are actually quite a few active wing nuts at most of CT’s small fields. Welcome to the group. Let’s all hope October sees us gathered at Penn Yan, NY.
:D
N2594D, 1952 170B #20746
Near Enfield, CT
Let's go fly!