Hangar Insurance

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n2582d

Hangar Insurance

Post by n2582d »

County requires $1,000,000 liability insurance on hangar I bought and will be placing at the county airport. Any recommendations on an insurance company to get this coverage?
Gary
lowNslow

Re: Hangar Insurance

Post by lowNslow »

Are you sure they want separate insurance for your hangar? Most airports want proof of insurance for your aircraft with one million liability coverage.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

I have hangar liability insurance as an add-on to my aircraft policy with Avemco. It’s not very expensive, maybe $300 a year. That’s cheap compared to the several thousand a year I was quoted as a standalone policy with a different insurer.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

lowNslow wrote:Are you sure they want separate insurance for your hangar? Most airports want proof of insurance for your aircraft with one million liability coverage.
Karl,
The 170 project is in my shop at home so the hangar will be empty unless I rent it out. Even though my plane isn't ready to go to the airport I couldn't pass up buying this Port-A-Port as I got a very good deal on it and purchasing it now allowed me to bypass the long waiting list for a rental hangar at the local airport.
DaveF wrote:I have hangar liability insurance as an add-on to my aircraft policy with Avemco. It’s not very expensive, maybe $300 a year. That’s cheap compared to the several thousand a year I was quoted as a standalone policy with a different insurer.
Dave, I ran across FAQ #5 on this Avemco website. It says the minimum annual premium is $985. I ended up going with Falcon Aviation Insurance. They have discounts for EAA members and they also have a policy specifically for Port-A-Port hangars. Maybe that's because they seem to be indestructible as Richard's recent post indicates. You can find Falcon's application here. $322/year.
Gary
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

The city only requires liability insurance so that's all I have.