uAvionix AV-30-C

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

mmcmillan2

Re: uAvionix AV-30-C

Post by mmcmillan2 »

Ghostflyer, thanks for the reply! The AV30c doesn’t seem to give you standard rate turn indication, is that correct?
170B owner, KCFD, CFI(I), ATP Multi
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

mmcmillan2 wrote:Ghostflyer, thanks for the reply! The AV30c doesn’t seem to give you standard rate turn indication, is that correct?
I seem to remember that the FAQs on the AV-30 on Aircraft Spruce specifically say it does not have turn rate information. I don't know if that is a future upgrade, but I would more seriously consider it if it was. My heading indicator and turn coordinator are both tango uniform so I'd like to find something that would do both.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

While I wish that Garmin was paying me for this ,but the G5 has a lot going for it . There are numerous “bits” that can be added on later and it’s very easy to match it with other Garmin instrumentation. It’s simple to install but effective in operation. It’s sales speak for how popular it is . If ordering it from Spruce also get the loom for the G5 at about $50 extra . Makes installation a breeze . .
mmcmillan2

Post by mmcmillan2 »

cessna170bdriver wrote:
mmcmillan2 wrote:Ghostflyer, thanks for the reply! The AV30c doesn’t seem to give you standard rate turn indication, is that correct?
I seem to remember that the FAQs on the AV-30 on Aircraft Spruce specifically say it does not have turn rate information. I don't know if that is a future upgrade, but I would more seriously consider it if it was. My heading indicator and turn coordinator are both tango uniform so I'd like to find something that would do both.
After some research, I found that a turn coordinator could be substituted with a second attitude indicator with ball for IFR flight. So, then the rate indicator feature wouldn’t be needed. It seems if I keep my original vacuum AI, I could add a digital AI with ball and backup battery and be legal (with no need for turn coordinator or turn and slip). Or ditch the vacuum AI, and add two digital AI units with batteries. I’m just brainstorming for future upgrades.
4583C

Post by 4583C »

Thanks for all your comments guys. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet but I think this is the way I want to go. Brian tell your A&P folks are waiting for your comments after you actually fly the new install. :lol: I’m sure that will speed things up!
Larry, beautiful work on the overlay and thanks for your comments.
brianm

Post by brianm »

It took a few months but I finally got to fly behind my AV-30. The DG precesses faster than I would like, but I hear there is is software update coming "any day now" that should help. You can configure three display layouts and cycle between them in flight. My first tries are attached, haven't decided if I want to change anything yet.

Basic attitude, DG, bus voltage and baro setting:
av30_basic.jpg
Basic display plus airspeed and altitude:
av30_cruise.jpg
The whole kitchen sink:
av30_everything.jpg
Brian M
N2669V - '48
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I see its indicating temp, which probe was used and where was it mounted please.?
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
brianm

Post by brianm »

The probe is a Davtron C307PS. The Davtron manual recommends installing two feet out from the wing root on the bottom surface of the wing. With my metallized ragwing it wasn't convenient to place it there or anywhere further out, so I ended up putting it about six inches out from the root in the left wing.
Brian M
N2669V - '48
4583C

Post by 4583C »

Brian thanks for the pics and answering Jim’s question which was my next question. I ordered the AV30 and tailbeaconX in April and it doesn’t look like I’ll get until August. The AV30 has been out of stock but they won’t give the discount on the pair unless they ship at the same time and the STC for the tailbeaconX hasn’t been approved yet.
mmcmillan2

Post by mmcmillan2 »

BrianM, that looks nice!
brianm

Post by brianm »

I've flown about 40 hours behind the AV-30-C at this point. I figured I would post my impressions of it just in case anybody finds it useful. My 170 is VFR only and I am using the AV-30-C in the attitude indicator configuration as a replacement for my venturi-driven attitude indicator, directional gyro, and turn-and-bank indicator. The only thing that it doesn't provide compared to the three instruments it replaced is rate of turn. I'm hoping to see that in a future software update but I don't miss it. Net weight savings was around 10 lbs. In general it works as advertised. I have not tried the "probeless AoA" or audio alert features.

My only significant concern was that the heading precessed or drifted badly. If a mechanical DG was half as bad I would refuse to fly IFR with it. This seemed to be a common issue among AV-30 owners. I am happy to report that the recent version 2.1.2 software appears to have fixed it. I've flown a few hours since the update and it seems to be holding heading quite well. Still, I would be hesitant to use an AV-30-C in DG mode as a primary heading reference in an IFR aircraft.

Finally, a tip for those who are installing an AV-30. The installation manual tells you to leave pins 8 and 15 unconnected (MFG serial in and out). The service bulletin for upgrading to software version 2.1.2 directs you to wire a female DB9 connector to those pins. Even if your unit comes with the latest software version, there will inevitably be more updates in the future. You will save yourself some hassle down the road if you or your avionics shop install the DB9 connector during the initial install and route it somewhere readily accessible.
Brian M
N2669V - '48