uAvionix AV-30-C

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: uAvionix AV-30-C

Postby mmcmillan2 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:48 am

Ghostflyer, thanks for the reply! The AV30c doesn’t seem to give you standard rate turn indication, is that correct?
170B owner, KCLL, CFI(I)
mmcmillan2

Postby cessna170bdriver » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:04 pm

mmcmillan2 wrote:Ghostflyer, thanks for the reply! The AV30c doesn’t seem to give you standard rate turn indication, is that correct?

I seem to remember that the FAQs on the AV-30 on Aircraft Spruce specifically say it does not have turn rate information. I don't know if that is a future upgrade, but I would more seriously consider it if it was. My heading indicator and turn coordinator are both tango uniform so I'd like to find something that would do both.
Miles
cessna170bdriver

Postby ghostflyer » Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:23 am

While I wish that Garmin was paying me for this ,but the G5 has a lot going for it . There are numerous “bits” that can be added on later and it’s very easy to match it with other Garmin instrumentation. It’s simple to install but effective in operation. It’s sales speak for how popular it is . If ordering it from Spruce also get the loom for the G5 at about $50 extra . Makes installation a breeze . .
ghostflyer

Postby mmcmillan2 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:40 pm

cessna170bdriver wrote:
mmcmillan2 wrote:Ghostflyer, thanks for the reply! The AV30c doesn’t seem to give you standard rate turn indication, is that correct?

I seem to remember that the FAQs on the AV-30 on Aircraft Spruce specifically say it does not have turn rate information. I don't know if that is a future upgrade, but I would more seriously consider it if it was. My heading indicator and turn coordinator are both tango uniform so I'd like to find something that would do both.

After some research, I found that a turn coordinator could be substituted with a second attitude indicator with ball for IFR flight. So, then the rate indicator feature wouldn’t be needed. It seems if I keep my original vacuum AI, I could add a digital AI with ball and backup battery and be legal (with no need for turn coordinator or turn and slip). Or ditch the vacuum AI, and add two digital AI units with batteries. I’m just brainstorming for future upgrades.
170B owner, KCLL, CFI(I)
mmcmillan2

Postby 4583C » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:45 am

Thanks for all your comments guys. I haven’t pulled the trigger yet but I think this is the way I want to go. Brian tell your A&P folks are waiting for your comments after you actually fly the new install. :lol: I’m sure that will speed things up!
Larry, beautiful work on the overlay and thanks for your comments.
4583C

Previous

Return to The Pilot Lounge