Page 1 of 1

Perfect end to the day

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:27 pm
by cessna170bdriver
When we first moved onto Brighton Airport our neighbors’ son Deacon was just learning to walk. A couple of years later he came into the hangar while I was working on the170 and spent some time inspecting my RV-7 project. As he was leaving, he got my attention and informed me that I’d have to put the wings on it before I could fly it. Smart kid!

The first time he asked for a ride in the 170 I told him he had to bring his Mom or Dad, put on some shoes, and get his car seat. He came back with shoes, but no parent or car seat, so I sent him home for those. A few minutes later his Mom came over and asked if I had really consented to give him a ride, as apparently they’d had some issues with him coming up with tall tales. Just a few minutes before, she’d caught him in the car trying to remove his car seat, and the airplane ride was his explanation. Needless to say, he got his ride but did decide he had to have his Mom along for moral support.

He’s now a gangly, tall-for-his-age, shy 6-year old. He came over last evening with his Mom and finally worked up the courage to ask for another ride. It had been a couple of years since the last time I’d taken him up, but this was the first time he wanted to go without his Mom. When I offered to help him up into the airplane, he shrugged me off and stepped up into airplane like walking up stairs; one foot on the step, the next on the floor of the airplane without even using his hands. 8O We only had time for about a 15 minute ride before sunset, but I think we both had a perfect ending to the day.

0A253998-8090-4C34-AF81-CF319F450E30.jpeg

8188BD34-1B86-4184-8070-C521A290C88C.jpeg

45C5BE4E-B5F5-4D6F-9B29-AA20CC3AD3A4.jpeg

B01F0C15-0C35-49E5-B6A6-7D8FDD2D1BC1.jpeg

Re: Perfect end to the day

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:30 pm
by brian.olson
THAT is what aviation is all about. Thanks for sharing and for bringing a smile to my face this morning.

Re: Perfect end to the day

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:39 pm
by cessna170bdriver
brian.olson wrote:THAT is what aviation is all about. Thanks for sharing and for bringing a smile to my face this morning.

Thank you Brian. I was thinking last night, experiences like this one are why I love living here. I’m really looking forward to watching this young man grow up.

Re: Perfect end to the day

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:11 pm
by c170b53
Fantastic…

Re: Perfect end to the day

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:26 pm
by Bill_Green
Absolutely great!

Re: Perfect end to the day

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:56 am
by mmcmillan2
Cool!

Re: Perfect end to the day

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:07 pm
by edbooth
cessna170bdriver wrote:When we first moved onto Brighton Airport our neighbors’ son Deacon was just learning to walk. A couple of years later he came into the hangar while I was working on the170 and spent some time inspecting my RV-7 project. As he was leaving, he got my attention and informed me that I’d have to put the wings on it before I could fly it. Smart kid!

The first time he asked for a ride in the 170 I told him he had to bring his Mom or Dad, put on some shoes, and get his car seat. He came back with shoes, but no parent or car seat, so I sent him home for those. A few minutes later his Mom came over and asked if I had really consented to give him a ride, as apparently they’d had some issues with him coming up with tall tales. Just a few minutes before, she’d caught him in the car trying to remove his car seat, and the airplane ride was his explanation. Needless to say, he got his ride but did decide he had to have his Mom along for moral support.

He’s now a gangly, tall-for-his-age, shy 6-year old. He came over last evening with his Mom and finally worked up the courage to ask for another ride. It had been a couple of years since the last time I’d taken him up, but this was the first time he wanted to go without his Mom. When I offered to help him up into the airplane, he shrugged me off and stepped up into airplane like walking up stairs; one foot on the step, the next on the floor of the airplane without even using his hands. 8O We only had time for about a 15 minute ride before sunset, but I think we both had a perfect ending to the day.

0A253998-8090-4C34-AF81-CF319F450E30.jpeg

8188BD34-1B86-4184-8070-C521A290C88C.jpeg

45C5BE4E-B5F5-4D6F-9B29-AA20CC3AD3A4.jpeg

B01F0C15-0C35-49E5-B6A6-7D8FDD2D1BC1.jpeg


Good story Miles, hopefully he will be a new addition to the aviation community one of these days. :)

Re: Perfect end to the day

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:13 pm
by DaveF
cessna170bdriver wrote: We only had time for about a 15 minute ride before sunset

But it was the perfect 15 minutes.

Re: Perfect end to the day

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:39 pm
by GAHorn
DaveF wrote:
cessna170bdriver wrote: We only had time for about a 15 minute ride before sunset

But it was the perfect 15 minutes.


I’m sure the 15 minutes will be remembered for a looong time.... (time probably passed s l o w l y since it was a Green airplane.).

Re: Perfect end to the day

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:23 pm
by bsdunek
I'm sure you've done a great service to Deacon. Hopefully, the bug has bitten him, and he will follow up and pursue, either just for personal enjoyment or as a career.