Spoiler Alert

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Spoiler Alert

Post by GAHorn »

Disclaimer: I’ve made more than my share of errors in this life and I doubt I’ll be remembered fondly by everyone I’ve ever met because, among other faults too numerous to mention, I’m afflicted with frequent skepticism coupled with a big mouth.

Here’s todays’ spout-off: The current issue of “The 170 News” contains a common error (not the fault of anyone in OUR Organization at all)... contains a quote often mistakenly attributed to Leonardo da Vinci. While da Vinci certainly had a dream of flight there is absolutely no evidence he ever wrote or spoke the oft-mis-attributed line. ( "Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.")

Nope. Never.

However... the line WAS ATTRIBUTED to Leonardo in a MOVIE SCRIPT authored by John H. Secondari, with the voice of Leonardo da Vinci played by Fredric March. Its copyright date is 1965 and it was released in 1966 by American Broadcasting.

The sluething of this tidbit should be recognized by giving an Award of Truth to AIR FACTS author DAVE ENGLISH.

From the article on this mis-attributed quote comes his Bio: “ Dave English really is English, growing up in Kent watching the Red Arrows, the Harrier Jump Jet and Concorde. After earning a physics degree, he moved to the States in the 1980s, flying traffic watch and instructing. He was hired by American Eagle in 1994, where he flew the Shorts 360, the ATR, the SAAB 340 and the EMB-145 regional jet. In 2003 he was hired by a fast-growing airline. He now lives in Harvard, Massachusetts, in the country west of Boston. He has been an Airbus captain since 2006, but is most happy flying a simple sailplane or old taildragger. Along the way Dave earned a master’s degree in applied psychology, has been an ALPA safety volunteer, and has had articles published in several aviation magazines and scientific journals. ... “

Full Article:
https://airfactsjournal.com/2020/08/the ... ever-said/
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bsdunek

Re: Spoiler Alert

Post by bsdunek »

True, George. In this world, there are many things wrong that come from movies, TV or books. Just life, I guess.
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C