Greetings from a new owner and a couple of fun items for you

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Cessnateur

Greetings from a new owner and a couple of fun items for you

Post by Cessnateur »

Hello all, I just took delivery of my first airplane....a 1953 170B...today and thought I'd say hello.

The airplane is N170RK, serial 26053. I purchased it from a gentleman who has owned it for 41 years. He bought it from a friend of his who owned it for ten.
Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 9.42.14 PM.jpg
I've got it based near Madison, WI and hope to get it up to Oshkosh this week...if I can find a CFI or someone with 25 hours of 170 time to fly with me, as I lack the necessary hours for my insurance at the moment. And frankly, I'd like to build proficiency with a CFI regardless.

I do some writing for Flying Magazine, and I recently wrote an article on the 170 that just came out in the current August 2021 issue:
Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 9.45.41 PM.jpg
Bruce Fenstermacher was a tremendous help with some technical questions I had. I worked pretty hard on the piece, and I hope it does the airplane and the owners group justice.

As part of my research, I monitored the stats of every single 170 listing I could find since the beginning of April and calculated some averages:
Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 9.50.27 PM.jpg
The most interesting parts are the average and the median listing prices...particularly when separated by subtype. I added the median values to omit the absurdly high or low outlying prices:
Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 9.55.39 PM.jpg
As a reminder, this data was collected from any and all listings I could find since early April 2021. I scoured the web to find as many as possible. Craigslist, Facebook groups, Facebook Marketplace, Trade-a-Plane, ASO, Hangar 67, Controller, Barnstormers, etc. And I recorded the tail numbers to avoid including duplicate listings.

Anyway, I'm happy to finally be a member and look forward to learning as much as possible from the great community here.

- Jason McDowell
c170b53

Re: Greetings from a new owner and a couple of fun items for

Post by c170b53 »

Excellent, welcome to the association. I like that you know of a few places to look to find an aircraft, might be you next article. Good luck with your plane, you’re going to like it.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Jason, your serial number makes your plane a '54 model. It was probably sold in '53 and thus registered as that year. FAA records are notoriously wrong when it comes to the year of manufacture. Serial numbers mean everything when determining a model year, the year the aircraft was first registered with the FAA does not and quite often the first year of registration is what we incorrectly find in the data.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

You mentioned removing the absurd prices from your list. I can't help but think I'm not alone to think there are quite a few absurd prices on your list that still remain. Prices have gone up so dramatically in the last year for aircraft.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Job well done on the stats. They are very interesting . Plus you have a BLUE plane. They are the fastest 170,s. After a while you will realise the arguments in the club who has the fastest aircraft . Most blue owners will tell you the red aircraft are the slowest but the green ones are a little faster than the red ones .welcome to the organisation.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

WELCOME! …. And Wonderful First Post!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Jim Collins

Post by Jim Collins »

Jason,

Welcome to the 170's. I am a CFI with a 170B in Schaumburg IL. I can't help you with Oshkosh because I am flying there to, but if you can't find anybody locally, I can help you with training on Saturdays after Oshkosh as it is just a short flight for me to Madison.

Best of luck

Jim Collins
C170B N2488D
IP076

Post by IP076 »

Congratulations Jason!

Glad I could participate in making it happen!

Also, that’s a sharp looking picture for the article! Must be two good folks flying it!
mmcmillan2

Post by mmcmillan2 »

Here is a list of instructors: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5593

Nice plane, blue flies the best!
F2C584D8-BA2D-4BEB-8B61-007669C6DCA2.jpeg
170B owner, KCFD, CFI(I), ATP Multi