Take-Off Briefings

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Take-Off Briefings

Post by GAHorn »

In a parallel discussion (the “turn-back’ decision after take-off) one of our participants brought up a point that I have long felt is overlooked by GA pilots of single-engine airplanes…. The Take-Off Briefing.

When waay back in history I was preparing for a multi-engine rating my instructor Steve Barlow stressed to me the importance of constantly evaluating during every takeoff at every moment-during-that-event to ask myself “What do I do if an engine quits NOW?….what about NOW?….. and NOW?….”

When I advanced in my career to a small airline job it was such a lackadaisical operation (Rio Airways, Killeen, TX Be-99s) where FOs were relegated to counting/collecting boarding-passes and making a cabin-announcement during taxi-out and “get it done before I get into the takeoff roll!” ….
Take-Off briefings between “crewmembers” in that operation was virtually unheard of.

It was when I began training as a corporate pilot at Flight Safety, Inc in turbine equipment that the Take-Off Briefing was introduced to me. Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) began to infiltrate General Aviation when the “real regulators”….(IE, Insurance Underwriters)… began to take interest in corporate and GA ops.

When I became responsible as a chief pilot at corporate operations is when my attention to such details as SOPs became important to me because I was responsible for a dozen pilots who might fly with anyone else in the flt-dept…OR…may even find themselves operating with a “contract” pilot hired to cover a short-term insufficiency. It became mandatory for each crewmember to know what to expect from his/her partner up in the pointy-end where they could be first-to-arrive-at-the-scene-of-the-accident.

It became “habit”. In fact, I didn’t realize how habitual my typical takeoff brief had become until one day a passenger expressed shock and dismay that I had briefed them what I planned to do …in what sounded to them like the absolute certainty we were about to have an emergency! 8O

It was in my personal Baron that I typically briefed to whomever was sitting next to me:
“We will apply maximum power and Confirm it before beginning the takeoff.
“In the event of engine malfunction Prior to rotation we will STOP straight-ahead…
…otherwise we will climb at Vy (or Vx) until the departure end of the runway….
…leaving the gear DOWN until we are no longer able to land on the remaining runway.
After that, we will retract the gear, clear obstacles, then accelerate to Flap-retraction…
…and then go to cruise-climb….
Any malfunction after rotation we will address by the checklist and decide to return or proceed.
Any Questions…??

It became so ordinary that when I sold the Baron I continued my TO Brief even in Single-engined airplanes…
… except that in the event of engine failure I plan to land straight ahead until sufficient altitude to do otherwise…. which I’ve always felt was about 1K AGL. I still tell my “new” pax this briefing. I still think it to myself even when alone. (I quit briefing Jamie because she quit listening to me years-ago.)

When I administer a Flight Review one of my regular and Favorite things to do …JUST before the client pulls into position…is to Ask: At what point do you intend to abort this take-off?
It almost Always brings a shocked/confused response….sometimes with their question. “Whaddya MEAN?”

Me: “I mean, will you abort when half the runway is behind you and you’ve not attained flying speed…??? Or will you abort at BRAKE RELEASE when the Tach shows LESS than 2300 RPM..?? (or whatever T.O. power should indicate in whatever airplane we are in. for a standard 170…it should be approx 2300 at S.L.)

It’s surprising how many private/pleasure pilots … (and even some guys who fly professionally… but then fail to brief in a personal airplane)… simply do not think about the fact that trouble can actually occur during a takeoff/departure! :|

By asking the client this question, I hope to provoke them into making this a habit Before EVERY TAKE-OFF for the rest of their flying career.

I encourage all pilots to begin critical-thinking long before the actual departure.
Example: When you first “crank” your engine… Do you look to see if the Ammeter shows a DIS-charge?
Immediately AFTER start… as soon as you confirm Oil Pressure…Do you look at the Ammeter to confirm it shows a CHARGE?

In your “RunUp” checklist….Do you confirm your Ammeter has reduced to near-ZERO charge indicating that your battery has RE-charged before TakeOff?
(If not, then something in your charging system is not working properly and you might wish to reconsider departing, especially at dusk/after-dark…. remembering that the purpose of your battery is NOT to START the engine ….although that is a good test of battery capacity…. The PURPOSE of the battery is to provide an Emergency Source of electricity in the event of charging system failure in-flight. This is especially critical at night and in IMC.)
This is an important part of every “Before Take Off” checklist…. Your battery should be at/near Full-Capacity before Take-Off.
(Below 10-Amp recharge-rate is my personal requirement.)

Anyway,… Think About Take-OFF briefings….and while doing that…. Think about including your passengers in the briefing. (What about abandoning the airplane in a take-off incident and how they’re going to get that door open…. and WHICH door if that side is on fire. How do they unlatch seat/shoulder harnesses? (That item may have contributed to the deaths of pax in the NYC helicopter ditching.)

Hope this helps.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
mmcmillan2

Re: Take-Off Briefings

Post by mmcmillan2 »

Excellent write up, thank you. I have to admit that often we omit the takeoff briefing.
170B owner, KCFD, CFI(I), ATP Multi
TFA170

Post by TFA170 »

I just posted on the turn-back thread about my mentality. I have created my own checklist for my 170 that looks very long and complex to many other folks - one of the things before takeoff is "briefing". Even when it's just me, I mentally go through it all.

The one thing I posted over there that I'll re-post in this thread is this - I always assume I'm going to fail until I succeed in every critical phase of flight or any operation that has critical procedures in the event of abnormal operations or failures (like airdrop). So, for every takeoff, I assume I'm going to abort all the way up to the point I take off (or can't abort any longer due to runway length). For every approach and landing, I assume I'm going to go around until I roll on to the runway (not just in a 'safe position to land').

This, in my opinion, helps me to keep the right mindset, it helps prevent the delay of the "oh sh*t" factor, and it keeps abnormal/emergency procedures at the forefront of my mind when they count most. And I try to make as many decision on the ground at 1G and 0KTs as I can.
gobrien

Post by gobrien »

Hi All,

I've attached my checklist for EI-AEN. The briefing section is along the lines of George's post. I do it out loud if another pilot onboard or to myself if just me or pax onboard.

I have had CFIs explain why "there's no need" for it in light non-commercial GA aircraft and others tell me they are now instructing ab-initio students that they always should use the briefing to reduce the startle factor. Mindset for take-off is "the engine is going to fail on this take off and this is what I will do when it does."

Gareth.
Attachments
C170 Checklists EI-AEN v1.0.pdf
(325.17 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
1948 170 Project (N4180V) now EI-AEN SN:18513 - Dublin, Ireland
https://www.taildragger.eu/
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

Thanks for sharing an excellent checklist and takeoff briefing. I really like how thorough it is. Some of my younger students have done the same thing, devising their own SOP using the sometimes more lengthy manufacturer checklist as a starting point. They come up with a checklist that makes sense for them. As they start to use it, they can make adjustments so that it flows well. It should be easy to use and not something that complicates or distracts. For example, I find that a before landing checklist in a fixed gear airplane can be handled by a memory flow while the student or pilot devotes equal attention to outside traffic scan. (Example: Altimeter, Carb Heat, Fuel Selector, Seatbelts/Harnesses, Flaps, Propeller Control, Mixture Rich). In one case, a student color coded memory items. Some use mnemonics like CIGARS. I have found that pilot examiners here in our area accept that practice as long as the candidate understands it and adheres. Your product shows you have thought everything through and it should go a long way to assuring consistent and safe operation.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Many commercial/corporate operators use a “QRH” Quick Reference Handbook that address Procedures that require More than “Memory Items”.

“Memory Items” are those things which are so critical they should be committed to every pilots upper-memory for immediate action… Once those “Memory Items” are addressed….then the QRH is consulted for those additional items necessary to complete the Emergency Actions.

Example: Cabin Fire or Smoke:
Memory Item: Cabin Air & Heat -SHUT/OFF,

QRH ITEMS: Air Vents - OPEN, Smoke GOGGLES - DON, Oxygen - Mask-ON, Oxy -ON, Electrical - As Req’d ONLY, Smoke DEcreasing? - Declare Intents <>Smoke INcreasing or Same? - Emerg. Descent/Declare Intents

A QRH addresses the most-important items of a Full Emergency Checklist (usually Mfr’s or Approved)

Many Part 91 operators use an “Emergency Checklist” in Lieu of a QRH. (For Part 91 operators that are not operating under Subpart K, there is no FAA requirement for acceptance or approval of modified checklists.)

The Point I wish to make: A checklist should avoid excessive redundancy or non-critical actions or unnecessary repetitions… Lest it become burdensome and/or Ignored after short use. A checklist should NOT be an “Instruction Manual”. A checklist should address items which if-overlooked will expose the operator to unwanted Risk or Damage. A good checklist should be so-abbreviated that it will be consulted “in Real Time…. Every Time.”
A “regular” or “Normal” checklist is not required to be actually handled/read if it is verbally-spoken/as-used in a consistent, memorized FLOW or SCAN… as long as the Printed/Written List is readily available for consultation.

A Full Mfr’s or Approved Checklist should always be readily available.

FAA issued an Advisory Circular (AC) 120-71B on checklist use. https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policie ... id/1030486
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
TFA170

Post by TFA170 »

Another thing - I view them as "check" lists - in other words, if I'm by myself, I do the items from memory and then read the checklist quickly to myself to ensure I didn't miss something. If I have a passenger, I do it as challenge/response and have them read the item and I respond. 99% of the time, the only other person I fly with is my son and while he's not a pilot, he is starting to show interest. I think getting him involved in the checklist and operation of everything, as well as explaining what & why for the items once we're in cruise (or any other opportune time), helps regardless of level of interest.
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

I regularly have a passenger read the check list as a challenge/response. They read the item and I give the response. It doesn't have to be a front seat passenger, just the passenger that might have the most interest or get the most benefit from participating.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!