Greetings from Brazil

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Theodoro

Greetings from Brazil

Post by Theodoro »

Hello everyone,

I’m a happy new owner of a C170A and a new member of TIC170A. I’m interested in knowing more about the history of my new (to me) aircraft, like it’s original colours and paintschemes, previous owners and pilots and any other information you could have about it. It’s a 1951 (or 1950, I’m not sure) C170A, serial number 19833, and the N-number was N5774C until 4/29/1955, when it was exported to Brazil.

Thank you very much,

Theodoro
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Greetings from Brazil

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Theodoro, by serial number your 170A is a 1950 model, but it is very close to the end of the production year. We are not certain exactly what serial number was the change over to the 51 model but all indication are that it was serial 19850.

As for the color scheme, look here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=9362
Colors where either the red we have pictured or a metalic green

If you still have the original instrument panel with the piano keys and plexi glass, the color behind the plexi will tell us what color your airplane was. If it is redish you plane was red, if a blueish color your plane was green.

Welcome to the Association.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

WELCOME, Theodoro!
According to a Google Search your airplane was mfr’d/certificated in March of 1951 and owned by only one owner until exported to Brazil.
That owner was a leasing company in San Francisco: If you have the original logbooks, there may be information in them useful to you such as flight history and maintenance records that may reveal locations visited and perhaps names of people involved.
Click to ENLARGE
Click to ENLARGE
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Theodoro

Post by Theodoro »

Thank you very much for your help and warm welcome and thoughtful answers. I’ll certainly look for the original logbooks, GAHorn. I’m looking for more information about the Dascomp Aircraft Sales, but whithout much success. So far, I've only found out that this is a company that apparently exported several planes to Latin America...

Bruce, the panel of my Cessna is still as original as possible and it has those beautiful piano keys and the redish (orange, maybe) plexi glass, so it’s a red one. Loved to know that, thank you! I loved to see the exact color scheme, also. I would love to bring it back to its original color and pattern. Today it is painted white with a single blue band. Wonderful, no doubt, but there is nothing quite as beautiful as the original paint scheme. I don't know if it would be advisable to return the fuselage to polished metal after painted, however...

Another thing that makes these planes really beautiful are the original wheel pants, which are very hard to find - at least here in Brazil. Is it possible to find them in the US or order new ones?

Thank you so much and wish you both good flights.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Occasionally original metal wheel pants are sold by owners who don’t use them. The mounting plates are unique to the 120/140/70 aircraft so if you find the pants get the plates also.

There are after-market wheel pants sold which are made of fiberglass or carbon fiber that resemble the originals.

While not specifically approved for the 170, these are applicable to the 172 and should be capable of being fitted. The cost is still quite high, about $1300 plus shipping for a pair. https://www.knots2u.net/fiberglass-repl ... gf0541223/
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

GAHorn wrote:WELCOME, Theodoro!
According to a Google Search your airplane was mfr’d/certificated in March of 1951
Remember, Google will only find the date the FAA has when it was first certified. This is usually not reliable at all for telling what model year your airplane actually is. This is because airplanes were built and sat in storage without being certified, sometimes for several months.

As I stated, the exact change over serial from 1950 model to 1951 is not found in official documents. However I've spent many hours studying serial number records and the parts manual for changes in parts and all indications lead to serial 1985o as being the first 1951 model. Yours being serial 19833 isn't close enough to 19850 that I feel it is in question. It is a 1950 model.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Theodoro, welcome to the club, lets see a pic of your plane.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
Theodoro

Post by Theodoro »

Thank you very much, GAHorn.

I tried to upload a picture of my plane, Jim, but it seems to heavy - I don't know why. The bird is currently under maintenance right now and I took the opportunity to add some personal touches to the painting. When it's done, I'll certainly try to upload a picture here.

It's a joy to be part of this club, folks.
IA DPE

Post by IA DPE »

Theodoro:

One of the limitations of our current Message Board is it can’t accept large files, such as pictures. *Most of the time* if you email the picture to yourself, your email applications will “downsize it” enough that it then can be uploaded to the Message Board. YMMV :wink:
1955 C170B N2993D s/n 26936
1986 DG-400 N9966C
Theodoro

Post by Theodoro »

I already posted it in the photo group, but I think it's worth replicating here. Here's my C170A, folks.
Attachments
PT-APJ
PT-APJ
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Very cool T, enjoy it
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

That is one of the most unusual custom paint schemes I’ve ever seen on a 170. WELCOME! (our son just returned from Brazil, having spent a couple weeks vacationing on Fernando de Noronha.)