Ultralight Helicopters

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Ultralight Helicopters

Post by GAHorn »

Out of curiosity I was wondering if Ultralight aircraft had an equivalent following in rotorwing aircraft and came across these. I haven’t researched the FARs as they might apply…but for those guys that might find it of interest: (The mosquito first grabbed my attention):

https://www.pilotmix.com/tag/aircraft-d ... helicopter
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Jim Collins

Re: Ultralight Helicopters

Post by Jim Collins »

George,
Be careful. I have flown experimental Rotorway helicopters for years and although I have not flown one of the ultralight helicopters like the Mosquito, I understand a lot of people have gotten hurt on these as they are not very stable and their ability to glide (autorotate) is almost zero
bgiesbrecht

Post by bgiesbrecht »

Jim Collins wrote:George,
Be careful. I have flown experimental Rotorway helicopters for years and although I have not flown one of the ultralight helicopters like the Mosquito, I understand a lot of people have gotten hurt on these as they are not very stable and their ability to glide (autorotate) is almost zero
Interesting. Is it because the blade mass is too low due to the smaller size?

How does the Rotorway handle? I've always liked those. My dad almost bought a kit back in the 90s.
Former owner of:
1953 170B
N1977C
s/n 26122
Jim Collins

Post by Jim Collins »

Exactly, very small thin blades with little mass.

The Rotorways are okay, a little underpowered but they fly okay. However the company is under new owners who are not aviators and no idea what the future holds
falco

Post by falco »

These look like a heck of a lot of fun. I had a good chat with one of the Helicycle guys at oshkosh one year. I must have appeared interested enough but not quite ready to bite; he was trying to explain what they cost to build, operate, etc...

I told him that I could afford the helicopter just fine, but it was the cost of the prerequisite divorce that was causing my hesitation. ;-)
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

What I would pay to see George straddle, squeeze into and hover that mosquito. :D
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

c170b53 wrote:What I would pay to see George straddle, squeeze into and hover that mosquito. :D
$32,000 USD..?? :twisted:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

c170b53 wrote:What I would pay to see George straddle, squeeze into and hover that mosquito. :D
Jim, I have 2 bucks US to contribute to the pot! Should we start a go-fundme?
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"