Flying Magazine

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

iowa

Flying Magazine

Post by iowa »

I received my first 'New' flying magazine (book?)
Was pretty nice with heavy paper used
and more emphasis on small more affordable airplanes.
Does anyone know if there was a particular reason for this change?
I know I was growing weary reading about the million dollar jets
featured in this magazine, and had considered letting my subscription run out.
But now, i'll stick around for awhile
d
1951 170A 1468D SN 20051
1942 L-4B 2764C USAAC 43-572 (9433)
AME #17747
DaveF

Re: Flying Magazine

Post by DaveF »

The magazine was sold, and the new owner is a small airplane guy.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

AOPA has a similar problem, IMO. I’ve abandoned them several times of the last 50+ years over such nonsense. They no longer represent the individual pilot or aircraft owner that I can determine….When I first joined them in 1967 I think I had a 6-digit membership number… and they were fighting the required installation of transponders in small airplanes that wanted to land at towered-airports,…. But I’ve cancelled them a half dozen times and now my number is in the 12-digit range,,,and their mission now is to sell ADS-B, high-tech gadgets, insurance, and jet fuel.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I was a subscriber to AOPA for over 15 years and kept just about everything they sent me . But when I so called retired and big clean up at home and in the hangar commenced . I found a AOPA magazine 2007 vintage and then compared it with a magazine that was released about 3 months ago . I was comparing articles and noticed a BIg shift in content and quality of information and “COST”. I am no longer a member of AOPA. But I also and have kept a Cessna 170 association magazine from 2000. It was a good read but what amused me the problems we had then ,we still have today. It’s a shame it’s not in color . Plus our membership fees have hardly moved over this period.
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

AOPA has some notable accomplishments in the last few years. Weren’t they largely responsible for Basic Med? Their Rusty Pilot program is excellent although it needs to be supplemented by thorough flight instruction. AOPA provides good safety advice. I’ve attended their fly-ins which are well organized and put general aviation in a positive light with the public, not to mention attracts new pilots and prospective mechanics. The magazine is interesting and Barry Schiff is worth the price of admission. Good variety of airplanes and pilots are covered and, if I’m not mistaken, they seem to like taildraggers.
Cessnateur

Post by Cessnateur »

iowa wrote:I received my first 'New' flying magazine (book?)
Does anyone know if there was a particular reason for this change?
As mentioned, the magazine was acquired by an individual with a passion for GA...and the new focus on more relatable content is in direct response to feedback from readers. More people want to read about airplanes they might potentially be able to purchase and own one day, and multi million dollar turboprops and jets, while very nice, just aren't as relatable to the readers.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

voorheesh wrote:AOPA has some notable accomplishments in the last few years. Weren’t they largely responsible for Basic Med? Their Rusty Pilot program is excellent although it needs to be supplemented by thorough flight instruction. AOPA provides good safety advice. I’ve attended their fly-ins which are well organized and put general aviation in a positive light with the public, not to mention attracts new pilots and prospective mechanics. The magazine is interesting and Barry Schiff is worth the price of admission. Good variety of airplanes and pilots are covered and, if I’m not mistaken, they seem to like taildraggers.
I believe if you look at the record you’ll find that EAA had more influence on the Basic Med issue because it pertains so much to the homebuilt/experimental category. “safety advice” is not the purview of any particular group…. Even FAA makes claims in that territory. The AOPA ASN (Airport Surveillance Network has eroded in to a defunct organization. The magazine is focused on selling jets and avionics. That’s my perception.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)