Hello

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

asechrest

Hello

Post by asechrest »

Hi, folks.

I'm a lapsed (currency) pilot living in the Tampa area of Florida. I have a family of four, with my daughter soon off to college, so life the last number of years has stolen the resources I've needed to continue flying (which is fine!). But the flying itch never leaves you, so I know I'll return to it. I have recently fallen in love with the '48 ragwing 170, which was spurred on by the pics of the Ernie Hall Aviation Museum raffle plane, which appears to be beautifully restored.

Anyway, most of my time is in Cessna 172s. I now love the classic lines of the 170 along with the no-nonsense approach of the '40s era planes. So I've got an inkling to end up with a 170 at some point in the future, if they don't become such collectors items as to be unreasonably affordable! Thanks for all the resources here. I'm sure I'll be lurking for quite some time, but thought I'd say hello.

Thanks.

PS - I did join the Association, as it seems like a lovely cause and if I'm to be a future owner, that's the appropriate path!

-Adam
GAHorn

Re: Hello

Post by GAHorn »

WELCOME, Adam!

Well…. you’ve got GREAT TASTE in airplanes! The Original C-170 was the beginning of the line for a truly Classic Airplane. That fabric wing has really sweet handling characteristics, and very predictable. Again, Welcome! I’m sure you’ve read the One Seventy Book description in The Pilot Lounge?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=228

George
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
asechrest

Post by asechrest »

GAHorn wrote:WELCOME, Adam!

Well…. you’ve got GREAT TASTE in airplanes! The Original C-170 was the beginning of the line for a truly Classic Airplane. That fabric wing has really sweet handling characteristics, and very predictable. Again, Welcome! I’m sure you’ve read the One Seventy Book description in The Pilot Lounge?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=228

George
Thank you for the warm welcome! I hadn't read the info at that link (shame on me!), but doing so now. I have this feeling that a growing fondness for the 170 is going to get me back into flying!

Thanks again.
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

Welcome to the group, Adam. This is a story that I have in common with you: I learned to fly in Piper aircraft when my kids were young, and I had a thirteen-year gap in flying while they grew up and went away to college - my time and money both spent on more important causes. It was the purchase of my (our) Cessna 170 five years ago that got me back into flying again (prior to the purchase I had never flown PIC in a Cessna nor had I any tailwheel time). Like you, I was immediately smitten by the graceful lines and beauty of these wonderful aircraft. This is a journey I'll never regret.

Best of luck with your adventures and let us know how you are doing in your back-to-flight journey.
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Welcome, to the association, your hunt begins. Be prepared for ups and downs, sometimes a plane fall into someones lap, others have had to beat the bushes for awhile. Good luck in your quest.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Adam I started flying in 1993 and after about 30 hrs in a Tomahawk I bought a 48 170 that was pretty nice. I was thinking I might buy a B after a few years. Well I liked my 48 so much that hasn't happened. The 48 is probably one of the most under appreciated used aircraft you can buy. My only advice to you is the condition of any 170 is way more important than the model. Bill K
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
JSwift

Post by JSwift »

Adam,

Welcome to the group. I too lurked and then joined and after about a year of searching found a great 170. You are correct this forum and the Association are great resources. Enjoy the journey. Cheers !
N2594D, 1952 170B #20746
Near Enfield, CT
Let's go fly!
asechrest

Post by asechrest »

Thanks for the continued comments. Appreciate them!
Hawkeyenfo

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

Welcome to the group! You have joined what is arguably one of the best TMS Clubs around, along with one of the best best planes! 8)
Fly Navy !!!!

1941 Boeing PT-13D Stearman
1952 Cessna 170B
1960 Piper Aztec (PA23-250)