Flight Review Preparations

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Flight Review Preparations

Post by GAHorn »

When you approach the time for your Flight Review per FAR 61.56, what preparations should you anticipate? Have you considered the “personal comfort level” and legal responsibilities your CFI faces when coming aboard your aircraft? Or have you assumed that since YOU are getting aboard your CFI should not question the aircraft or airmans’ status…?

1- Is your pilot record (logbook) up-to-date? Do you have a current medical? Are you prepared to present your Pilot Certificate(s) for inspection? Or are you expecting a good friend who happens to be a CFI to administer a Review based upon assumptions?
The CFI may wish to examine those items to determine if your recency-of-experience will facilitate the CFIs’ lesson plan, or if a different plan for the Review is necessary.
I once had an applicant with whom I was totally unfamiliar present with no recency of experience (zero flight time) for almost 5 years. He was desiring to return to flying status and had never flown the particular model aircraft he had reserved for the activity. 8O (Hint: A flight review is not an aircraft check-out to be accomplished in only one hour.)
I have had a person I considered a very close friend mislead me with their claim of currency and on another occasion completely misrepresent the actual ratings held. This deceit not only violated the friendship, it placed me in the position of unknowingly operating illegally.

2- Are you planning on using your own aircraft? Do you have your aircraft maintenance records (logbooks) available for inspection by the CFI..?
One of the Risks undertaken by a CFI is when an unfamiliar airplane is to serve for the flight. Not only does the CFI face personal risk of flight in an unfamiliar airplane… In some cases the CFI may have professional and personal responsibility for determining it’s Airworthiness. No one should expect another person to board an airplane in which they do not feel comfortable with its’ status.
Of course the required documents such as Registration, Airworthiness Certificate, and AFM must be on board…but those documents do not actually attest to the “Current Condition” of the aircraft.
At the very least, the applicant should prepare a “card” or note-pad with the pertinent information regarding airworthiness, such as Date of Last Annual, Status of Static-System/Transponder status, and known discrepancies (squawks). If the flight involves instrument recurrency or instrument flight in controlled airspace the static system must meet the requirements of 91.411 and in ALL flight conditions the transponder must meet 91.413.
Also, the VOR accuracy checks should be current and recorded. (FAR91.171) Have you kept a signed and dated record of those checks as required by FARs..? (FAR91.171(d)) (This is a good idea even for those who fly strictly VFR.)

Having these documents prepared beforehand will also demonstrate to your CFI that you take your aircraft and your own status seriously and will “set the table” for a good flight review.

I hope these comments are received in good spirit and found to be useful. Have a Good Flight!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
voorheesh

Re: Flight Review Preparations

Post by voorheesh »

I’m an active flight instructor (SF Bay Area) and while I don’t see many 170 pilots, I do provide flight reviews including airplane owners in their personal aircraft. I agree with George’s list but I have not found it to be a concern and certainly not a ramp check or challenge/exercise. In fact, every recent owner I’ve dealt with has been proud of their aircraft, it’s condition, and it’s records. I do not recall being uncomfortable flying in anyone’s airplane recently. Quite the opposite, in my case (maybe just lucky).

The important thing for me in a flight review is to find out how and where the pilot flies and then devise a plan with him/her that will emphasize safety through practice of maneuvers and review of rules and information that will be helpful. I want to make it worth it for the pilot. I also want to make it as pleasant an experience as possible, because those will have more lasting impact.

I want to help prevent accidents. For example, in my area a pilot and his friend recently crashed and lost both lives during a bay tour on a day where the weather was VFR, but not ideal. Virtually every pilot I work with wants to fly over our beautiful scenery and see the GG Bridge. So I make a point of reviewing their routing and awareness of airspace, ATC communication, personal minimums and back up plans. A review of recent accidents (lessons learned) is helpful. The pilots I’ve worked with seem to welcome this approach. If they like to fly up in the mountains, that’s another mission to review.

I’m an active member of NAFI and welcome their recent increase in outreach to CFIs including an excellent presentation on the impossible turn. I recommend NAFI to any CFIs in this association. I have tried to use the FAA WINGS Program with our clients but haven’t got anywhere other than our school requires all flight review candidates to complete the online Flight Review Course. Are any 170 Association members using WINGS? Any suggestions on how to optimize it? When I owned a 170, I remember getting a pretty decent insurance discount from being current in the program. I just can’t seem to get our clients interested.

Anyway, thanks for bringing the subject of flight reviews up. I hope others will chime in including non CFIs who might help us instructors provide better reviews!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Harlow, I take it from your post that when conducting reviews you are often doing so in the flight school aircraft with which you are already familiar..? …or with clients whose operations and aircraft with which you already have comfort…?

That is not what I am addressing. Just to be clear…. I am not suggesting a CFI conducting a flight review…is going to perform a “ramp check”. Firstly, a CFI performing a flight review is not acting as an FAA Inspector and has no authority to do so.

My original comments are intended to cause an owner to reflect upon their expectations that a CFI asked to conduct a flight review in the applicants personal airplane may have no prior knowledge of that airplanes’ condition and deserves the courtesy of assurance from the owner that the owner is 1-knowledgeable about his own aircraft, and 2-Attentive to maintenance requirements and, 3-concerns himself with passenger (or CFI in this case) comfort and confidence.

Don’t show up with a “rat plane” and expect the CFI to jump into it unless you can provide comfort with recent annual inspections and knowledge of it’s current status.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

George, You are right, I work for a flight school but most flight reviews are in customer airplanes that our management is familiar with. We also see customers from nearby airports who we don’t know and who are having trouble finding a CFI. I’m sure many realize that young CFIs are getting hired by the airlines and are scarce these days. In fact at my school, 2 of us were left in January, both in our mid to upper 70s. And you are worried about the airplane? Just kidding George, and I appreciate your advice. I did not mean to imply you were suggesting a ramp check. My approach is to interview flight review pilots including having them show me their records. I find most are prepared and seem to take an interest in their airplanes which I think is a good thing. We always check. I really enjoy flying with these folks and my intention was to add to your good post, not to criticize.

Speaking of flight school airplanes, ours are older Cessnas approaching 50 years of age and while very well maintained, I do wonder sometimes, they work hard! A 150 I am flying now was delivered to the same flight school I started my career at Gnoss Field in Marin County nearly 50 years ago when they had Cessna dealers. And to be honest, other than less new Cessnas, not that much has changed at least from my vantage point. Thanks again for your post!
barrymaas

Post by barrymaas »

I'll throw my .02 in. I'm a CFI for over 25 years now. I don't work for a flight school, and haven't for a very long time. About the only thing I use the CFI for is BFR's or IPC's (I don't teach primary or instrument).

100% of the bfr's I do are in someone else's airplane. The last one I did was in a Maule, which I have exactly zero experience in. However, I know the pilot (as I do with most of the ppl I BFR). This guy knows his airplane inside and out, and has a very strong relationship with his IA/A&P. GAHorn is correct in his thoughts on providing a level of comfort and protection to the CFI joining you. We don't know your airplane, but expect you to. Often times the airplanes A&P is nearby (on the airport), and it's a good idea to have them stop by to say hi before the BFR.

Prior to the BFR we discuss what the pilot wants to work on and walk away with. The bulk of the hour ground time is walking around the plane and discussing the airplane and the systems. This gives me a good idea of the level of familiarity and care they've given their airplane. The 170 is an antique, and while it's a simple airplane if it's not in somewhat good shape and if it's clear the pilot/owner doesn't know it very well...then we'll have a problem. I wouldn't expect many off the street CFI's to be comfortable getting into a 70 year old plane. I've never looked at a maintenance log (that's the IA's job) or inspected pilot logbooks. Frankly, I don't care if you log your currency on a napkin, as long as you can show legality with currency and reviews. I expect every owner to know when their particular inspections are due, and that they've been complied with. If it's not, then we're not flying. Find another instructor.

I've found that aircraft owners typically know their airplane pretty well. Renters usually do not, however the schools generally have solid maintenance programs. I hammer on systems and the ways things work and fail, which most pilots have never seen or been taught (ie what the blade pitch does on a single engine airplane when the governor fails)

From there it's flight proficiency and general FAR knowledge, but this is a different story for another thread. The BFR should be a fun and rewarding experience for the pilot; it's my job to challenge them and and a few new wrinkles to their brain.