Piper Navajo crash at Kings Lynn (History Guy)

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Piper Navajo crash at Kings Lynn (History Guy)

Post by GAHorn »

Lindbergh insisted on a single engined airplane for his historic flight because he felt more engines had greater chances of engine failure.

This Navajo crash was unique in history in that a failure on one engine…caused Both engines to fail. (Gives greater significance to operating our single engine fixed-pitch airplanes…. keeping it simple, IMO.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0erWd2euSMk
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Piper Navajo crash at Kings Lynn (History Guy)

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The History Guy is quite a story teller.

It is really not your day when the first engine/prop failure takes out your second "safety" engine/prop. I have a friend who's first engine took out the second in a twin engine helicopter forcing his to autorotate to the ground, something not routinely practiced in twin engine helicopters.

However, even more amazing for this accident and my friends is that no one was hurt. How the Navajo pilot got and kept this plane under control to an amazingly safe crash and my friends autorotation into 4ft of water in the Passaic River at night in NJ (outside of NYC) showed that despite a glitch or two, they both had an incredibly good day.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com