HELP ... Trying to transfer the Bush 180 LYC STC

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

voorheesh

Re: HELP ... Trying to transfer the Bush 180 LYC STC

Post by voorheesh »

Discussed this with an IA friend this morning who sympathizes and remembers not too long ago when this transfer of STC could have happened without any hoops to jump through. For what it’s worth, he advises an IA can process a 337 for a product under STC and sign return to service followed by filling with FAA OKC. Block 3 (FAA not required) when using an STC as basis for approved data. However, he would not do this transfer absent STC holder approval, without specific guidance from his PMI. And he seriously doubts PMI would give blessing. He recommends asking, because some PMIs might be willing to help out with these dilemmas. Again, this for whatever it’s worth and good luck.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

voorheesh wrote:Discussed this with an IA friend this morning who sympathizes and remembers not too long ago when this transfer of STC could have happened without any hoops to jump through. For what it’s worth, he advises an IA can process a 337 for a product under STC and sign return to service followed by filling with FAA OKC. Block 3 (FAA not required) when using an STC as basis for approved data. However, he would not do this transfer absent STC holder approval, without specific guidance from his PMI. And he seriously doubts PMI would give blessing. He recommends asking, because some PMIs might be willing to help out with these dilemmas. Again, this for whatever it’s worth and good luck.
This sounds remarkably like paying only once for an STC and modifying two airplanes. (Doesn’t meet the rule)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

George, Once again, I agree with your point of view on this. You are right. But assuming the OP is still interested (haven’t heard back from him since his original post), I think there may be some room for interpretation or application of the “rule”. In fact, the OP is not trying to apply the STC to 2 for the price of 1. He is trying to move it from a damaged airplane to a serviceable one. He paid for one and intends to use one. If the STC holder is available, I don’t see a valid reason why this request would be denied. There are no “safety” issues. My IA friend thinks it’s worth asking. An FAA PMI might give a thumbs up which would be followed by a routine transfer of a new 337 (Block 3 not required) and a filing in the receiving airplane’s FAA record at OKC. Following that, who would ever know? Where is the harm?

If the modified airplane were to end up in an accident, I can almost guarantee, the issue would come up. Cessna is involved in every serious accident involving their airplanes and their investigators don’t miss anything. But even then, where is the beef? It’s still a proper STC. How would a paperwork shuffle be cited as probable cause or contributory?

If the STC holder suddenly appears and raises an issue, explain how you couldn’t get ahold of him and see if there is a fair remedy to settle the matter. You’re right, it doesn’t meet the rule, but looking at it from Bill’s point of view this might really help him save something he paid for fair and square. I don’t advise him to do something fraudulent, but I certainly hope he asks permission from the “authorities” and maybe gets a fair shake.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Harlow, I think if you consider the situation where someone replaces the dataplate on an airplane with one from a different airplane… you will see the corollary…. it’s not significantly different. Remember, it is a Supplemental Type Certificate.

Your comment only addresses the airworthiness of the modification…not the legality. The OP is facing a legality issue.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Jim ,you are so correct about Harry talking the leg off a iron pot. I pulled up at Porterville with wife and daughter in our car. I told my wife i was going to be 10 to 20 mins as i wanted to get this STC sorted out with Harry . That about 11.00am in the month of June . I was there nearly 4 hours and was only interrupted by a cars horn that kept sounding.
I returned to the car and found two very irate females . [what are they complaining about ,the car was air conditioned ] . I missed going to the car show in LA that night. we ended up staying at a hotel that night in Porterville.

Harry gave me a full tour of his workshop and hangars and i met most of the staff and had a coffee with them. He had a very interesting shop set up. I really enjoyed my time there. [the two females in my car have other ideas on that ].
Last edited by ghostflyer on Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I could only afford to talk to Harry after I got a cell phone. (no long distance fees)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I have met and feel privileged that I have met some very informed ,educated ,and industry Titans and Harry would be one of them. I learnt so much in that short time I was there ,I wish i could have been there a week just to learn the tip of the iceberg.