Off topic- 172A AFM needed

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Off topic- 172A AFM needed

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Searching for a copy of an AFM for a 1960 172A for a friend. Search online so far unsuccessful. Any help appreciated.

(Yes we know we can buy one from Cessna.)
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Re: Off topic- 172A AFM needed

Post by GAHorn »

Is the Serial lower than 17271035…?

From the TCDS:

DATA PERTINENT TO ALL MODELS 172 THROUGH 172Q

“Equipment:
The basic required equipment as prescribed in the applicable airworthiness requirements (see Certification Basis) must be installed in the aircraft for certification. This equipment must include a current Airplane Flight Manual (AFM) effective S/N 17271035 and on.”

(I could be wrong but..Up until the Q-model I believe they were Placarded airplanes. I had to buy the official placard from Cessna for my C-model.)

From TCDS:
“Models 172, 172A and 172B
"This airplane must be operated in compliance with the operating limitations stated in the form of placards, markings, and manuals.”
AC60-6B.pdf
(117.9 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: Off topic- 172A AFM needed

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Yes, the serial is 47067. Of course I should have included that but didn't think it necessary as the 172A is a certain range of serial numbers.

I assumed it needs an AFM similar to the 170 as it was certified under CAR 3 like the 170. However, looking closer at the TCDS it appears that is not the case. Besides what George pointed out there is this.:
Equipment:
The basic required equipment as prescribed in the applicable airworthiness requirements (see Certification Basis) must be
installed in the aircraft for certification. This equipment must include a current Airplane Flight Manual (AFM) effective S/N
17271035 and on.

The list goes on to describe some equipment but that does not include an AFM until the list is describing those models after 17271035.

I'll have to dig out CAR 3 and see if an AFM isn't required of it. I'll let you know it I find anything.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com