Off topic I need 185 rudder return spring help

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Off topic I need 185 rudder return spring help

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

We have a 185 in the shop. Owner pointed out the the right cable is really hanging loose in the back running out to the tailwheel. The Cirrus guys finally ask me what might be wrong. I immediately said he has busted peddle return spring. We start looking for it. We can find nothing in the tunnel where the springs should be. That is no right or left return spring and no parts of either. Like the 170, they are clearly depicted in the IPC, where they attach to the pedal lever, but in the front the springs are hanging in space.

Of course as we know from the 170 this area is not easy to see (unless you have the firewall removed) and the 185 is no better. I know we have or had a few 180/185 owners in the association. Richard Pulley comes to mind. Could anyone knowledgeable describe where the returns sprinsg hook in the front on this aircraft? Pictures would be a miracle.

Thanks
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
n2582d

Re: Off topic I need 185 rudder return spring help

Post by n2582d »

Bruce,
If you look a little closer at the IPC rudder return spring (Fig. 83-28,29) you will see that it only applies to the C-180 without rudder trim. I believe all C-185's have rudder trim. C-185's have a closed loop rudder control system. If the tension on the rudder cable is 30 +/- 10 lbs. the problem is not in the rudder control system. I would look at the compression springs, pulley brackets, etc. of the tailwheel steering system to find out why that cable is loose. Here's a couple of screenshots that might help:
Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 2.04.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-07 at 2.05.10 PM.png
Gary
Bruce Fenstermacher

Gary, this 185 doesn't have a closed loop rudder system. Or if it does, it's really screwed up. At rest the both cables from the aft fuselage sag badly, one more than the other. When I push equally on both rudder pedals both cable tighten up.

I have to admit we didn't exactly look at the correct IPC illustration for the serial number as I assumed there should be return springs, there are not, and the cables sag. Lots of mods to this 185. Don't know if someone took out the springs or it shouldn't have them. We'll have to look at the correct IPC illustration tomorrow to confirm what should or should not be there.

All the cabling inside the fuselage including pulleys and brackets look good.

Bruce Fenstermacher

Well just dug up the serial of this plane and low and behold it doesn't have return springs and it does have a closed loop system. Guess we will be getting into this much deeper tomorrow.

Thanks Gary

n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Bruce,
I'm curious, what'd you find the problem to be?
Gary