Wheel Fairing Trim

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rnealon1

Wheel Fairing Trim

Post by rnealon1 »

Hi Folks,

Trying to restore a set of wheel fairings and one side is missing the 5/8" aluminum trim down the center. There does not appear to be a part number(s) in the IPC...any ideas on a source for this?

Thanks,

Bob
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (6.56 KiB) Viewed 6165 times
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
rnealon1

Re: Wheel Fairing Trim

Post by rnealon1 »

And while I am at it, the existing trim is a flat/angled shape. In the IPC it appears to be rounded, so I am wondering if what I have is original.

Thanks,

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Bob,
I have two sets of fairings. The older set - white in the attached photo - has one strip on each wheel pant that is roughly 0.910” wide. I think my “new” set was fabricated by Cessna in the late ‘80’s. This set has a narrower strip - 0.620” wide - and is split in two where in crosses the raised horizontal bead in the wheel pant. In my opinion the older style looks more finished. The p/n for this strip is 0441143-14. Here’s some inspiration for fabricating your own fairing strips.
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Click to Enlarge
Last edited by n2582d on Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

Gary,

Thank you, mine has the narrower 2 piece strip. In my search I found the -14 part number on the Cessna Parts website, listed as a "strip", although I don't see it in the IPC.

The brazing video is great, although I guarantee I will never learn to do that work.

Assuming Cessna doesn't have an old one in stock I guess I will start looking for an aluminum supply shop that can point me in the right direction for a replacement.

Thanks again!

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

For anyone interested I have found the part numbers and associated drawings from Cessna Parts Support:

Upper longer trim piece: 0441143-6
Lower shorter trim piece: 0441143-14

Not surprisingly not in stock. Just for fun I will try to get a quote for producing these parts.
image002.png
Thanks,

Bob
Attachments
Wheel Fairing Drawing 2.pdf
(103.53 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Wheel Fairing Drawing.pdf
(77.58 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

Monkey wrench time.

I have my original wheelpants for 56D that are in a bit too sad of shape to be re-installed. A friend pulled them out of the back of his hangar when my Dad was restoring the airplane and said that the owner at the time elected to not have them re-installed when he converted to Cleveland wheels and brakes. They have the split trim on them.

I just bought a set (now unsure if reproductions) off of a ‘54 that are in excellent shape that I’ll be installing to cap off this mammoth annual I’m doing. They also have the split trim. I assumed all of them did, now Gary has me curious.

Were the offerings in the 1980s available with parts? I wonder if folks bought spare trims or as they broke over the years, simply trimmed them short?
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Ryan,
My NOS fairings came with a translucent blue film which appeared to be sprayed on as a protective layer. They came in a Cessna cardboard box as a complete assembly with the mounting plate, scraper, and trim pieces attached.

Bob,
I made the incorrect assumption that the 0441143-14 was for the wider one piece trim because Yingling Aviation only listed one "strip" when I entered "0441143" in their search function. Now I'm wondering if that wider trim which I pictured on the white wheel pant is an owner-produced part. Frankly, it's better made than the two piece strips on my NOS wheel pants. Looking at images online now I can't find another example of this strip being one piece; they're all two sections.

That was nice of Cessna to share those blueprints. I'm expecting all the "originality nuts" to soon add the "No Step" stencil to their wheel pants. :wink: Cessna neglected to do this on occasion.
170 at Apple Valley.jpg
This guy could make you a nice set of trim strips.
648665_orig.jpg
Gary
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

Ryan,

Thanks for that info. If you end up with leftover trim from your old ones let me know...

Gary,

Thanks for all the details and that website...maybe he can make a whole set of "Cessna 180" wheel pants.

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

For the few interested in this topic I actually reached out to Hardison but no reply.

Textron provided the following quote on 2 sets of wheel fairing trim:
Quote.PNG
Let me know if anyone wants in...

Thanks,

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

rnealon1 wrote:For the few interested in this topic I actually reached out to Hardison but no reply.

Textron provided the following quote on 2 sets of wheel fairing trim:
Quote.PNG
Let me know if anyone wants in...

Thanks,

Bob
8O 8O 8O
I didn’t buy a set of Cessna’s late 1980’s reproductions (coordinated by the 170 Association’s then parts and maintenance coordinator Tom Hull) because they wanted $600/set…
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Pretty cool that you can buy them new.
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

So I did receive a response from Hardison Metal Shaping referenced by Gary above, very beautiful polished wheel pants $8460 for the set. Certification and installation not included.

Hard to justify but sure look nice!

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT