Radio

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

ds2514c

Radio

Post by ds2514c »

Well 2514C will be out of the shop this week, I can't wait. I was going to put an IFR GPS/Com in but the new motor put a large hurt on the budget. I am looking for a dependable radio with G/S any suggestions?? I currently have a KX170B as the only working radio.
GAHorn

radio wants

Post by GAHorn »

I think it's necessary in airplanes like 170's to conserve valuable panel-space so that's what I have uppermost in my mind when I think about radios.
Therefore I believe you should consider a Narco Nav 122 either new or used, if you want to not take up any additional space than an instrument hole.
You might also consider trading or adding your KX 170 for one with GS. Then you can buy a slimline type radio for a backup, such as a Narco 810, or King 97.
If you prefer not to do that, you could consider a King KN53 which is a slimline VOR/GS with seperate indicator.
Or, you could look at a KX125 if you don't mind doing without the GS (after you add it to your KX170), which will do away with the need to even have a second indicator. (The KX125 has the indicator built-in. As would a UPS/Apollo SL30 or SL40. Keep in mind that the SL30 also has GS capability if you use a seperate indicator.)
To get an online tutorial about various radios, see http://www.avionix.com/