Forced Landing Update

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N1478D

Water or Trees?

Post by N1478D »

The May 2002 Aviation Safety journal has an article titled "Water or Trees?" It starts out saying "When faced with a controlled forced landing, water offers little danger: Surprisingly, the same is true of heading for the trees" and goes into the details of the data gathering, statistics, etc. - it is very well written. It goes into great detail about too much speed during the emergency landing, it studied 216 accidents and only two involved stalls or mushes, but many - dozens in fact - involved too fast touchdowns in which the aircraft ended up in the rocks or trees. The author's take on fuel exhaustion "Absent a leak or other mechanical fault, if you run an airplane out of gas, you are an idiot and you deserve what befalls you." It talks about training to become proficient at accurate, slow touchdowns by practicing emergency landings reqularly with an emphasis on flying them as slowly as possible. Here is the articles conclusion: "The fatal accident rate for tree landings is essentially the same as for water. The analysis suggests that either kind of landing, if done correctly and under control, puts your chances of surviving at nine out of 10. But that doesn't mean you'll necessaryily walk - or swim - away. The chances of sustaining an injury of any kind are somewhat higher when you go into the trees than when you ditch in the water and the chances of a serious injury are quite a bit higher in the trees. This seems logical and the data we assembled seems to bear out the theory. So when there's no open field available and the choice is either trees or water, the choice isn't the lead pipe cinch we once thought it was. The overall survival rate between the two appears to be about the same, but the injury rate is higher if you go for the trees. One thing is relatively certain: Whichever you pick, the airplane will probably be a write off, so trying to save or minimize the damage shouldn't figure into your decision. In fact, whenever you're confronted with any emergency in which survival is at question, the airplane should be considered nothing but an expendable collection of aluminum, steel, rubber and fluids. That's the way the insurance company will look at it, and that's why you pay them that hefty annual premium."
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

water or trees

Post by GAHorn »

That's an interesting point. I think I'd rather land on terrain myself, tho'. An injury sustained while in a sinking airplane doesn't seem too fair a proposition, not to mention floating gasoline. An emergency landing in the water is not likely to be next to the lifeguard station at the public docks, and just being in the water far from shore is an emergency in and of itself, even tho' an expert swimmer. Of course, if one had run it out of gas, it'd get rid of most evidence! 8O
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

This isn't as funny as Gary's nail polish story - that really had me laughing, but, the week after the stuck valve forced landing Megan, my 11 year old daughter, shared that just a second before the engine went bad that she was very airsick and wished that she was anywhere but here, I don't care how, just anywhere but here. We are still laughing about it and every once in a while I caution her not to wish too hard for certain things.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
Roesbery

Motion sickness

Post by Roesbery »

For airsickness carry some candied ginger in the plane. And have any potential sick passengers eat some before boarding and suck on some in flight. They will have a clear head ( not dopey ) and enjoy the flight. It is a bit spicy and some children and others who are not used to it may think it is hot. Tolerance will build over time with use. You can find it in the baking section of most groceries, or any store that caters to philippinos etc. Charlie
N1478D

Re: Motion sickness

Post by N1478D »

Roesbery wrote:For airsickness carry some candied ginger in the plane. And have any potential sick passengers eat some before boarding and suck on some in flight. They will have a clear head ( not dopey ) and enjoy the flight. It is a bit spicy and some children and others who are not used to it may think it is hot. Tolerance will build over time with use. You can find it in the baking section of most groceries, or any store that caters to philippinos etc. Charlie
Thanks Charlie, I will locate some today. Megan has been a good sport, but it is really difficult for both of us. Have tried the dramadene(sp) and she does not like that. Sure hope it works, it will be a lot more fun for her!
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Candied Ginger is available in most grocery store spice racks. Spice Islands brand carries it in a clear jar. It is helpful for people who get airsick from flying in unstable straight-wing airplanes with no dihedral.
zero.one.victor

trees or water

Post by zero.one.victor »

I don't know where most of you live (and fly),but around here--the Puget Sound area of Washington-- the water is COLD. Even if you manage to exit your airplane after a ditching (when it most likely flipped upside down),you better hope it stays afloat so you can perch on top of it. Otherwise,like a wise old man once told me, you might as well just swim straight for the bottom & save yourself & everybody else a lot of trouble!
The cold water will have you too cold to stay afloat without a personal floatation device,even with a PFD hypothermia will probably do you in before you're rescued unless you're lucky enough to ditch near shore or near a boat.
If you ever have to do a forced landing,you'll find that you think about this aspect of things a lot more--it doesn't just happen to the other guy!

Eric
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

gahorn wrote:Candied Ginger is available in most grocery store spice racks. Spice Islands brand carries it in a clear jar. It is helpful for people who get airsick from flying in unstable straight-wing airplanes with no dihedral.
Understand it works well for people in slow flight in a plane with HUGE FLAPPERS and CROOKED WINGS. :wink:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX