Montana/Idaho trip update

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

aileron170b

Montana/Idaho trip update

Post by aileron170b »

Hi, everyone:
A semi-brief update on my "quick" trip to Idaho from Michigan. Though I expected to take two weeks, I did it in 7 days.

Two C170's left MI VFR on a Sunday morning. Made Ames, Iowa the first night (1/3 of the way). Stopped in at a small (honor-system) Nebraskan airport for fuel the next day. I was the sole occupant/pilot in my a/p. The other had two male occupants. When we stopped, I began fueling my a/p first. A local pilot resident drove up and remarked that it was nice the guys got to bring along their own "line girl". Of course, he thought the two men were the two pilots and I was the tag-along. My friends clarified the issue for him, and then we had a good laugh after we took off. Ho hum.

Third day in Laurel, MT, near Billings. Flew around Devil's Tower; saw Mt. Rushmore, etc. In Sheridan, had the pleasure of meeting the two gentlemen from CA who are flying all over the U.S. They were on their way home. Quite a remarkable trip, indeed.

Headed for Driggs, Idaho. Easy and scenic flight. Driggs was great! The FBO food was as good as many four star Detroit area restaurants!! Stayed at the Intermountain Lodge two miles from a/p. An all no-smoking facility. Log lodges with extremely clean rooms - under $50/night. Highly recommend staying there. That afternoon rented a car and drove into Yellowstone thru Jackson Hole.

Though there was to be a big warbird fly-in that week-end, we elected to leave because the other a/p had to get to Denver and it looked like weather was coming. I wish I could have stayed for several days as it's a perfect base camp. Next time.

Left Driggs at 7:30 a.m.; flew north and got up to 11,000. Circled over Old Faithful, flew over Yellowstone Lake and through Sylvan Pass to Cody.
Mtn elev was 10,500 or so. Not ashamed to say I was white knuckled going thru that pass - but what an awesome site and experience!! Negative side of being a sole occupant was I had to pay very close attention going thru the pass, so couldn't get to stare out the side window too long. Very few air bumps, but would have preferrd to fly east to west than west to east. Scenic view and forward viz would have been better. But what a feeling.... flying thru the Rockies!!

After we got thru the pass, I headed towards Thermopolis, WY for fuel while the other a/p went on to Denver.

Upon a recommendation, I headed for Camp Guernsey, WY. Ended up staying two nights there. GREAT FBO. He immediately gave me the courtesy car and offered free hangar (though I gave him $$ for the effort). Pitched a tent along a slew of the North Platte River next to a golf course for $5.00/night. Walked over to the Oregon Trail wagon ruts and then toured Ft Laramie. Great time of year - no tourists. Though in the high 90's, it was not very humid. Density altitude was a factor, but not much since I wasn't carrying much weight. (Note: It was in the 30's the week before; 90's when I got there; and predicted 60's the following week. Hard to decide what clothes to pack!!)

Left Camp Guernsey at 8:00 a.m.; stopped at North Platte Airport for fuel. 100 deg on ground; 19G26 winds. Amazing how different the winds are out west. Had no problem landing or taking off in those winds. But you would be thrown all over the place in Michigan. In fact, you probably wouldn't be in the air! Ended up flying 7.2 hours in an 11-hr day to Galesburg, IL. Was on the leading edge of a huge sigmet. Next morning just made it out of Galesburg before storm hit. Got home 3.9 hrs later.

32.2 hours on tach
3100 miles RT
6 days of actual flying
1.3 to 3 hours per leg/ 2-3 legs per day.
Averaged 6.65- 8.4/gals per hour
Fuel ranged from $1.90 to $2.52. But most was around $2.30
Got up to 11,000 over Yellowstone.
Put a/p in hangar most overnight spots. $10-$25 range per night
Was never delayed due to weather - EXCEPT in Michigan!!
Never one problem with a/p. Whew!!

If was to do over: I would have not "planned" on doing so much. But rather, choose a destination and decide to make it a home base from which to make mini trips. There was just too much to do. Next time it will probably be...?? (Retirement sure is becoming more and more appealing!!!)

If anyone's interested in photos, just let me know. Thanks!
Michelle