Wyoming/Montana Trip

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

aileron170b

Wyoming/Montana Trip

Post by aileron170b »

This is some new site! Good job. Now I just have to figure out how to maneuver about....

At the risk of repeating my previous email on the "other" site.... I am planning a VFR trip to Yellowstone from Michigan late May via Iowa, So Dakota, WY and MT. Will be doing limited mountain flying (last time was to Durango), but wonder if anyone can recommend some neat airports at which to land and possibly camp (unless it's too cold at night!) along my route. Food, of course, is also high on the agenda.

Was thinking Cody and Bozeman for starters. Any other suggestions?? Thanks much.
Michelle
N2218B

Wyoming/Montana Trip

Post by N2218B »

Hi Michelle,
I posted a reply on the old site just before the message telling us about the switch but I haven't seen it come thru yet. I won't repeat the whole thing but will just mention that I am in Bozeman and there are lot's of great airstrips in this area. You might want to plan a stop at the West Yellowstone airport at the northwest entrance to Yellowstone Park just 90 miles south of Bozeman. It has an excellent pilot's campground and is a great base for exploring the park. Check with me before you go there as it does not officially open for the season until June and there was still a couple of feet of snow on the runway last week when I drove by.

The Bozeman airport where I am based is worth a visit but no longer has a decent place to camp. There is a good pilot's campground on the Three Forks airport just 20 miles West at the headwaters of the Missouri.

Send me an e-mail if you have any more specific questions about the SW Montana area.
N1277D

Idaho/Montana/Wyoming Airstrips

Post by N1277D »

There are many airstrips in Idaho that are fun to camp at, fly to or hike around after you get there. A good reference is the book FlyIdaho by Galen over in Sun Valley. Galen also has a similar book on airstrips in Montana.

If you have time stop over in Johnson Creek, Smiley Creek, Big Creek, Chamberlain and Moose Creek. All have good airports and camping. If your camping in Idaho stop in to McCall there are good restaurants right next to the airport and even a grocery store within walking distance. Jackpot to the south in NV is also good. Food and a pool to relax in. For a good breakfast stop in to Smiley Creek or Sulfer Creek. Sulfer Creek only takes checks.

West Yellowstone has free airport camping right next to the fire base. It is even fenced to keep critters out. You can walk into town or rent a car at the airport. There is also a good Mexican Restaurant there, that opens on Memorial Day. Driggs to the south of West Yellowstone also has a new restaurant and museum, and is where the Jackson Hole pilot gang hangs out (Harrison Ford, etc)
N1478D

Camping Around Fredericksburgh

Post by N1478D »

I hope to fly/camp up in the Idaho area some day also. Congrads on getting to do that.
Heading to Fredericksburgh, TX this Saturday, does anyone know of a fun campground with an airstrip in the area, or even the Austin area :?: Hoping to throw the tent in the 170 and camp Sat night somewhere after the hangar party 8)
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
flyer170

Montana trip

Post by flyer170 »

I had some friends camp at Custer State park in the Black Hills. They liked it, had a fence to keep the Buffalo out. I don't think there are any services there. There is also an airport at the town of Custer. You might check either one out. You could fly through or over the badlands on the way out. Check out Mt. Rushmore and Devils tower in Wy. They are national monuments but you should be able to get a close enough look anyway.
Low and slow over the Milk river in Montana is nice .
Bob
3958v

Post by 3958v »

Mishelle I have flown to that area from PA and found that area to be great fun. West Yellowstone was great with excellent free camping on the airport. One place not mentioned you might consider is Thermopolis WY They have a great FBO run by a 170 owner who was very helpful. He drove us into town {about 1 mile} where they have some great Mineral hot springs. I have also been to Buffalo where we recieved good treatment. In general most airports out that way are great and most have courtesy cars. So have a great trip. Bill K.
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
N1478D

Re: Wyoming/Montana Trip

Post by N1478D »

aileron170b wrote:This is some new site! Good job. Now I just have to figure out how to maneuver about....

At the risk of repeating my previous email on the "other" site.... I am planning a VFR trip to Yellowstone from Michigan late May via Iowa, So Dakota, WY and MT. Will be doing limited mountain flying (last time was to Durango), but wonder if anyone can recommend some neat airports at which to land and possibly camp (unless it's too cold at night!) along my route. Food, of course, is also high on the agenda.

Was thinking Cody and Bozeman for starters. Any other suggestions?? Thanks much.
Michelle
Michelle, shared the interest of flying/camping with someone who has done it a few times - he said it would be hard to have more fun than in the Idaho area. He advised to set up a base camp, then with a lighter load make day trips out in early morning to all of the fun places to go. He said you are looking at 6,000 ft elevations in general and leaving your heavy stuff at the base camp is necessary for some of the locations.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX