MUST READ AVIATION BOOKS

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Re: MUST READ AVIATION BOOKS

Post by GAHorn »

That's a good use of Kindle.

bluEldr, once-known by you, MOST long-distance-champion women prefer not to be known by anyone other than you, I'm told... :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

gahorn wrote:That's a good use of Kindle.
No digital copy of the book is available. :(

If you search for the book name on Amazon, there is a link to request the publisher make it available for digital sale tho.
Can everyone go click that? 8)
voorheesh

Post by voorheesh »

For Pilots' Eyes Only, Ned Wilson Paladwr Press 1993. An account by a Pan American Airways pilot starting in Brownsville, TX in 1942 up through flying the Pacific and over the pole in B707 and B747s.

Fly the Wild and Stay Alive, A Bush Pilot Flight Training Manual by Hal Terry, a retired AK pilot who was living near Great Falls Mt and flying C 170s last time I talked to him.
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

I know Hal. He used to fly on Kodiak Island. I lost track of him but will try to re connect. Thanks for the post
It's not done till it's overdone
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I have a copy of Jerrie Mock's book, "Three Eight Charlie", which now apparently now sells on Amazon for up to $500. There is an original sales card from 1970 that prices it at $6.95, brand new.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I wouldn't do this for just anyone, bluEldr, ...but seeing as it's you,.....
I'll double.....well....OK.....I'll triple your money for it.
I'll even pay the postage.
Send it so I can have it for the Holidays, OK?
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

I am somewhat embarassed to tell this on myself, but I had (still have) a customer by the name of Charlie Taylor. I had been working on his Cessna 172 doing repair work for weeks and talked to him many times during the process. Finally, one day, he ask me "Have you ever heard of Charles Taylor?" My reply was naive "Yeh, that's you!". Long story short, he is the great grandson of Charles E Taylor, the Wright Brothers mechanic, who's genious allowed it all to happen. I felt like an idiot. Of course I knew about Charles Taylor, but I guess the name being somewhat "normal" didn't register in my pea brain. He autographed a copy of the book "Charles E. Taylor; The Wright Brother's Mechanician" and gave it to me (I think that is the name, the book is at the hangar right now).
Anyway, I know it's not a pilot type book, but it is incredible, detailed, with drawing and blueprints. It is very well written, and I think anybody with an inquiring mind toward the mechanical side of the beginning's of powered flight, the obstacles they had to overcome, and other interesting notes about the whole "plan" from conception to a flying machine would find it very interesting.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

George,
Thanks for your underwhelming offer, but I think I'll pass on this one. This book, "Three Eight Charlie", was a gift from my two lovely daughters last Christmas and I certainly dont't want to do anything to get on their bad side, particularly knowing how much they had to pay for it.
I think this is a book that all my pilot friends would enjoy reading. To the best of my knowledge, Geraldine Mock still lives in Florida and would be in her mid eighties now. I just think it's a shame she has not received more public recognition during her lifetime.
BL
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

blueldr wrote:George,
Thanks for your underwhelming offer, but I think I'll pass on this one. This book, "Three Eight Charlie", was a gift from my two lovely daughters last Christmas and I certainly dont't want to do anything to get on their bad side, particularly knowing how much they had to pay for it.
I think this is a book that all my pilot friends would enjoy reading. To the best of my knowledge, Geraldine Mock still lives in Florida and would be in her mid eighties now. I just think it's a shame she has not received more public recognition during her lifetime.
BL
I remember reading a story about her in an aviation monthly about 4 or 5 years ago. I had never heard of her before then, and after reading the story was amazed I had not. I can't remember which pub it was, but it was a good read.
I certainly understand not wanting to part ways with something that special, especially when it is a gift by your lovely daughters. So, I won't even offer.......... :D I understand the significance of a book given by someone special. Can't replace it with anything else. I wish I had a book written by blueldr; It would have a place on the top shelf. hint hint :wink:
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

That does make the book real special! The few books that have been given to me over the years are invaluable to me today.
When I was a sailor (late 90's) my mom gave me 'Gypsy Moth', a solo circumnavigation story.

And YES, if you ever wrote a book I would camp out at the book store to be first in line.
I think the older generation greatly devalues what they are holding on to. I wasnt there for the golden age of aviation so my only connection is the stories written down by those who lived it.
marathonrunner

Post by marathonrunner »

I agree. Blue Leader should write a book even of short stories. I would buy several copies...hopefully autographed
It's not done till it's overdone
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

I’d like to revisit this thread but narrow the topic to books on Cessna history. I recently bought Cessna: Wings for the World by William D. Thompson. It’s selling for as much as $243.88 online—that’s a discount from their list price of $466.73! I bought it directly from Bill’s daughter, Connie, for $25. Here’s the website. It’s a fascinating read on the development of Cessna’s single-engine aircraft from a test pilot’s perspective. He starts out describing his getting hired straight out of Purdue as a sales pilot but then being offered a job to replace one of two experimental test pilots who had been killed in C-195 accidents. The last page of the book says, “Distribution of Cessna: Wings for the World is available through the author’s company, Thompson Aeronautical Consultants, ... the various Cessna model-specific groups such as the C-140, C-140, C-170, and C-195 clubs.” It’d be great if we could get a club discount on the book. On the back cover he says, “Unlike other published books on this subject such as An Eye to th Sky by Gerald O. Deneau, Wings of Cessna by Edward H. Phillips and Cessna — 50 Years of Leadership by Donald Simon, this book describes the design philosophies, unique features, development problems, methods of improving performance and flight characteristics, participants in the technical work, and evolution of the models.”

An Eye to the Sky is only 77 pages. It’s author, Gerald Deneau, was an “Administrative Engineer (whatever that is) for the Commercial Aircraft Division.” More a cataloging of the development of Cessna from 1911-1961. It does have some interesting vignettes though. Like when Clyde, as a young man growing up on a farm in Kansas, was often called on to fix their neighbor’s farm equipment. “No pay was asked or offered; it was just outright neighborliness. Then, an implement dealer in Harper, Kansas, who often sold farm equipment in the Rago neighborhood, investigated why Rago farmers almost never asked for service. When he found out, he offered Clyde good pay if he would be his service man.”

Has anyone read the other books which Thompson listed? How about other books on Cessna history not listed? Any to recommend?
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Cessna-Wings for the World is a nice book to have in your personal library. But not because some charlatans are able to ask idiots to pay ridiculous prices for it....so don't go grab it believing it's a rarity. Grab it because it's a good read. I've also seen stoopid prices online for worn-out hardware, but that doesn't make an AN4 bolt worth 100 bucks. It's all about where you shop, as pointed out that the authors website sells directly. As does Aircraft Spruce and other retail outlets offer similar books at the same real day-to-day sales prices, such as Cessnas Golden Age by Alan Abel, Drina Welch Abel & Paul Matt. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/bv ... denage.php
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

Thanks for the recommendation on "Cessna - Wings". Just ordered a copy for my library.
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

It's 50ºF outside with a light rain falling -- way too cold to walk to the shop and work on the 170. So I add a couple of logs to the fire and finish Bent Props and Blow Pots: A Pioneer Remembers Northern Bush Flying by Rex Terpening. Rex is one of the giants of bush flying whose shoulders gentlemen like Jim McIntosh stands on. He writes of his experiences as an air engineer for Canadian Airways Ltd. flying in the Northwest Territories in the 1930's. He flew -- often laying on top of the cargo -- and worked in unimaginably cold conditions. Minus 65ºF was not uncommon. He was out in horrendous conditions doing engine changes and major repairs on aircraft such as Fairchild 71s and Junkers W-34s. In one chapter he recounts camping out in bitterly cold conditions for a month while repairing a Norseman in the middle of nowhere. Another fascinating chapter tells of a search and rescue which covered over 93,000 square miles and lasted over a month. These aviators of the '30s in the NWT were a tough breed with antifreeze coursing through their veins. (Green-blooded Canadians?) A highly recommended book!
Gary