Fuel flow

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n2727d

Fuel flow

Post by n2727d »

I am interested in getting fuel flow input from other members. We have a 53 170 B and I am burning 9 g.p.h. leaned without the use of an E.G.T. .All that I read is closer to8 G.P.H. rather than 9 . The compression is good on all cylinders . Mark
Mark
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Mark, I use 9 GPH in my flight planning for my 51 A with the C145. I never actually burn that much, it is a safety fudge factor. I am guilty of not knowing exactly how much per hour I am burning - have a clock on the yoke and it starts at 3 hours and when it counts down to 0, I am on the ground, or if either gauge reads empty. I usually have to put in less than 27 gallons, depending on the type of flying that I have been doing.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
dalemed
Site Admin

Post by dalemed »

I burn about 7.5 gph at 21 inches manifold pressure in my 55 C170B.
GAHorn

Fuel flow

Post by GAHorn »

My fuel burn runs about 8 gph in my '53 model, with O300C and EM7655 prop and single-piece venturi carb, at 2450 RPM, leaned but on the rich side, without EGT. With that cruise prop, I'm probably pulling more manifold pressure than 65%. I flight plan 10 gph for a fudge factor. When I get my MP and EGT guages for my birthday, I'll let you know more specifics. (May 22, incase anybody wants to remind Jamie or contribute.) :P
N1478D

Re: Fuel flow

Post by N1478D »

gahorn wrote:My fuel burn runs about 8 gph in my '53 model, with O300C and EM7655 prop and single-piece venturi carb, at 2450 RPM, leaned but on the rich side, without EGT. With that cruise prop, I'm probably pulling more manifold pressure than 65%. I flight plan 10 gph for a fudge factor. When I get my MP and EGT guages for my birthday, I'll let you know more specifics. (May 22, incase anybody wants to remind Jamie or contribute.) :P
That is very interesting! The later part of May is when most turtles are born :lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

N1478D wrote:
gahorn wrote:My fuel burn runs about 8 gph in my '53 model, with O300C and EM7655 prop and single-piece venturi carb, at 2450 RPM, leaned but on the rich side, without EGT. With that cruise prop, I'm probably pulling more manifold pressure than 65%. I flight plan 10 gph for a fudge factor. When I get my MP and EGT guages for my birthday, I'll let you know more specifics. (May 22, incase anybody wants to remind Jamie or contribute.) :P
That is very interesting! The later part of May is when most turtles are born :lol:
Actually that's when most deer and cheetahs are born. (Not the cheatin' kind, ...the fast kind."
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

:D I have a 48 145 and burn approx 7.4 but always figure 8 for planning. I have done this in a 3 mo period avg. It was overhauled Jan a year ago with milleniumns and does great. I use Shell 15/50. John - n3833v[/img]
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

N1478D wrote:
So, you're suggesting that ours will be yet another race between the turtle and the Harris? :twisted: That explains why you didn't finish the one last weekend. :lol:
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

gahorn wrote:
N1478D wrote:
So, you're suggesting that ours will be yet another race between the turtle and the Harris? :twisted: That explains why you didn't finish the one last weekend. :lol:
It took you a while, and two trys, and two days, but you hung in there and came up with a reply :wink: 'George The Turtle' might not stick, if you can speed that B model up. Did you give up being a deer or cheetah, that was kind of confusing, maybe take off like a deer, and fly like a cheetah, or something :evil:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It took you a while, and two trys, and two days, but you hung in there and came up with a reply :wink: 'George The Turtle' might not stick, if you can speed that B model up. Did you give up being a deer or cheetah, that was kind of confusing, maybe take off like a deer, and fly like a cheetah, or something :evil:[/quote]

Yawwn! Zzzzz.