Cracked Crankshaft

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ron Williams

Cracked Crankshaft

Post by Ron Williams »

Well Aircraft Specialties just called and the crank is cracked--probably has been for a while. Any good ideas for sources of serviceable crankshaft for my O-300A.? With new cylinders, a reconditoned cam, etc. this overhaul was already $8000. Suggestions?:(
Ron Williams
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Very sorry to hear that Ron. I have heard people comment that they already have their crank, and they are still flying their 170. Makes me wonder if it is hard to find a good one and how expensive, for them to have procured one before overhaul time. Good Luck, hope you have good fortune, and someone on here can help.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

Re: Cracked Crankshaft

Post by GAHorn »

Ron Williams wrote:Well Aircraft Specialties just called and the crank is cracked--probably has been for a while. Any good ideas for sources of serviceable crankshaft for my O-300A.? With new cylinders, a reconditoned cam, etc. this overhaul was already $8000. Suggestions?:(
Ron Williams
The crankshafts for the A-model engines are getting hard to find. Buddy McGown's engine shop rejected 4 before finally accepting the 5th one he found on the market. The C/D model cranks are easier to find because they were a later version used on so many C172's. If the worse case happens and if you don't have any luck finding a crank, ask your engine shop about converting your A engine to a C engine. The only difference between the two is the C uses a 6 bolt 1C172 McCauley prop in lieu of the 1A170 prop. (In other words, you'll have to buy another prop and spinner. The prop model changes from a DM or MDM to an EM prop.) If your present prop is in good condition maybe you could find a buyer to help with the cost.

(UPDATE: The Association has kindly been made the recipient of former prez. Ron Massicot's STC which approves the C and D engines (6-bolt cranks) and the EM props and spinners. It is available very inexpensively to TIC170A Members. Contact Headquarters@cessna170.org . Thank you, Ron!)