George-Opinion or comments on gauge?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Harold Holiman

George-Opinion or comments on gauge?

Post by Harold Holiman »

George, do you have any opinions or comments on the fuel flow gauge question I posted on the 26th?
Harold
GAHorn

Fuel Mizer

Post by GAHorn »

Hi, Harold! Me? Have an opinion? You must be joking! :wink:
I saw your other question, and as I had no experience with it, I had no input to give you. I've tried to find info about the guage, but my Spruce cat. (2000/2001) doesn't show it, nor does their website, which only gives the part no, and price. I'll not be very encouraging when it comes to "fuel-flow" guages in a 170. The rate of consumption in this C-145/O-300 powered airplane is such a small quantity, and is so well established, that I think money spent on digital fuel flow guages are basically a waste. The best fuel flow guage in a 170 is the tachometer. At 55% power it burns 7 gph, at 65% power the engine burns 8 gph, at 75% power it burns 10 gph, at 85% it burns 11 gph, and at 100% power it burns 12.6 gph. All these figures are available in the POH, "Operational Data" section, are the same for all altitudes when leaned for maximum RPM. Any digital fuel flow guage accurate enough to work in this airplane will tell you the same thing but your pocket will be emptier for it.
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

George,

Thanks for the reply and your opinion. I knew I could always get an opinion from you. The gauge is described in the 2001-2002 catalog and I just thought it would be nice to have in my 180 if you thought it was a decent product, and I ever got a few dollars ahead to buy one. On another subject, my brother called me a little while ago. He said he was enroute to Dallas and just heard on the news that a big hanger was burning at Bird Nest airport and contained many airplanes. Have you heard about this fire? If we make it to Austin this summer to visit my brother, I hope we get a chance to meet you.

Harold H
N92CP
IC170A member# 893
GAHorn

Fuel Mizer

Post by GAHorn »

Whoops. I forgot you had a 180! Even the 180 is fairly predictable on fuel flow, but if you wanted one, I guess I'd make more sense in that airplane than in a 170, although for the most part carbureted engines just aren't that accurate as far as fuel flow measurement goes. If you had an injected engine you'd probably realize greater benefit from a true fuel flowmeter.
I know where Bird's Nest is. It's about 15 miles NE of AUS and has recently become a "reliever" airport for the poor GA folks that the city of Austin cares nothing about. I'm sorry to hear of the fire. I hope no one's injured. Thanks for the heads up.
If ever you do come to AUS, please email me. I'd love to get together. gh