Iphone/Touch/Ipad - what software and hardware

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

HA

Re: Iphone/Touch/Ipad - what software and hardware

Post by HA »

what a coinkydink, my wife just bought herself a new iPad2 for her birthday (how thoughtful of me). so now I can mine knowledge from this thread to see what I might be able to use it for too.

actually, we are starting to look into these things for a datalogger function in our work airplanes - to replace our current purpose-built computer systems that keep track of gps position and various events along with sometimes a couple probes like temp or liquid water. If we can do the same thing with an iPad and a little programming we might be able to do it cheaper. with a little programming we could have limited pilot input added and it can take the place of our flight forms on excel too, just download it into a database and print out what you need for reporting.
'56 "C170 and change"
'52 Packard 200
'68 Arctic Cat P12 Panther
"He's a menace to everything in the air. Yes, birds too." - Airplane
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:.... Yes you can see the little helicopter (what you thought I'd have an airplane :) ) veering off course but that is it. .....
You assume too much. As soon as we read you were veering off-course... we instantly knew it was a helicopter. :twisted:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
gparker

Post by gparker »

Ive been using foreflight on my iphone for a year and I love it. One advantage is that the database has a lot of small airports that Garmin doesn't. My friend who flies a Hawker for work an a Cherokee six for fun uses Ipad with skycharts in both planes and loves it. Skycharts is easier use I think. All info is easily gotten by a finger tap. Foreflight requires going through different pages to get the info. What is lacking with both is updated info while you fly. That depends on cell service which is not always available in the air. But both have great charts, both IFR and Sectional. You can go paperless.
1956 170B N3457D
SN 27000
Denham Springs, LA
db99577

Post by db99577 »

Please keep us informed.
I fly relatives >21 often, and they relate more to Google maps/satellite photos rather than sectionals or USGS maps.
I bought an iPad last month would like to know which in-flight tracking app uses downloaded satellite or Gamin type terrain maps. I keep a 196 for those moments I may worry myself, and would like to give passenger the iPad on a velcroed kneeboard to keep ‘em occupied on a flight to Glennallen/Tok (from Anchorage). Don’t need precise tracking for this task – more along the lines of the airlines’ moving map. A moving map is much more interesting than my (or anyone’s) tour bus commentary after an hour.
I’ll be downloading my best option soon, so please keep noting your favorite iPad/iPhone GPS tracking apps.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

From my limited use of ForeFlight there isn't a terrain or Topo map that is part of the downloaded maps. However in one mode it did have a Google type map which showed roads. ForeFlight has a free trial period so downloading and trying it is FREE. If you didn't buy a 3G IPad you will need a GPS unit. You may find you want a GPS separate GPS unit anyway because it's been reported the internal GPS doesn't report often enough for what we are use to and it's not WAAS so it will not be as accurate.

Yes accuracy is important sometimes. On my own tests the GPS indicated resolution was better than 10 meters. As I walked around the hanger at work the GPS put me at each window I stopped at on a Google satellite picture of the building. But sometimes it had me side the building were I was and some times I was just outside. :roll:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

Navzilla Beta (free at http://www.navzilla.com/) works great for me on my Motorola Droid.

I crafted a holder that mounts on my yoke and it works well with the Droid's internal GPS.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Dale, or anyone else since this is a forum, why might I want to go with the Android operation system? I might be interested in a Android system if there was a unit between the size of a IPhone and an IPad.

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Dale, or anyone else since this is a forum, why might I want to go with the Android operation system? I might be interested in a Android system if there was a unit between the size of a IPhone and an IPad.
For one, Because you can get the H3LL away from AT&T and get decent cell service without all the dropped calls and disconnects. (I'm on Verizon and have been very happy since I dropped ATT/Cingular/Sprint)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

iPads and iPhones are now offered on Verizon as well.

This can quickly turn into a Ford vs Chevy debate.

IMO Apple is always going to have a more stable and faster (apples to apples) device. Because, the OS is designed specifically for the hardware, they can take advantage of things and optimize in ways that a multi-platform OS just cant. Apple doesn't need an abstraction layer between the touch screen and the OS or even the graphics card and the OS because the OS can talk to these pieces naively....less abstraction = more efficient. Less possible hardware configurations = more stable.

...but then you are limited to only what Apple decides you should have.

Android runs on a lot of things so you get a lot of platform choices...along with the possibility of instability and abstraction overhead.
...and there isnt an app yet to seriously compete with ForeFlight.

Being in software development, I can truly appreciate the value of having full control over the platform you plan to run on. It's just easier to deliver a quality product.
Being a software user, I can appreciate the desire to use whatever platform I choose tho.

I'm gonna duck now as the iPhone vs Droid flames pass overhead.

Another option on the table is the iFly 700.
http://ifly.adventurepilot.com/
It's real cheap and has a real gps chip in it.
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

It's really all about the available software (i.e. "apps"). Figure out what software products you need to use, then choose a device that supports them. That could be either iPhone or an Android device, depending on what you want to do. In my case, I bought an iPhone because of one app (CoPilot) that I used with a Palm device. It's available on iPhone, but not Android (so far). I've seen Android phones with features I envy, like bigger screens and FM radio receivers built-in, but I'm still happy with the iPhone.

As for AT&T vs. other providers, your mileage may vary. AT&T has always had a marginal signal strength at my house, so I wanted to switch to something else. I switched from AT&T to Cingular in 2005, but I missed AT&T's customer service (which I think is really first-rate). Cingular became AT&T, so I was home again. Three years ago I switched to Verizon, and right away noticed areas where V. had no coverage (but AT&T did). I started getting robo-calls from Verizon marketing after only a week with them, asking me if I would recommend Verizon to my friends. I had no opinion, so I answered "5" on the scale of 1 to 10 that they offered as a response (??!). Then I got calls asking me why I wouldn't recommend Verizon! After about 3 weeks on Verizon I had a chance to switch back to AT&T for free, and I grabbed it.

The first thing I noticed with the iPhone 4 was dropped calls -- markedly more of them than I had just experienced with AT&T on a Palm phone (the Palm was GSM, and iPhone is 3G). It stopped dropping calls when I put a piece of Gorilla Tape on the side of the phone to prevent my hand from shorting two parts of the antenna together. Later Apple sent me a free "bumper" to fix the problem, and that works just fine. I know there are many very satisfied Verizon customers, who may also have had bad experiences with AT&T, so YMMV is the rule.

I'd be very cautious about trying to use Google Maps in an airplane, the way we are used to using moving-map GPS. Your device will be trying to upload map segments faster than the network can deliver them to you -- this is my experience with the iPhone on AT&T, anyway, with the app set to display in "hybrid" mode. You may pay for a massive amount of data usage with nothing to show for it.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:Dale, or anyone else since this is a forum, why might I want to go with the Android operation system? I might be interested in a Android system if there was a unit between the size of a IPhone and an IPad.
First of all, I agree completely with bagarre. Having control over the hardware makes the software developer's job easier.

I went with the Moto Droid for several reasons, not the least of which is that I'm a loyal retired Motorola engineer. I also use several Google products and like the way Google is integrated into the Android operating system. I also MUCH prefer Verizon to AT&T after experiencing both and, until recently, Verizon didn't offer the iPhone.

Other than the fact there are a few good apps not yet available for the Android OS, I have no regrets. I love my Droid!

Now, about the iPad vs Xoom tablets .....
Bruce Fenstermacher

For me it is not about phone service. I don't have a really smart phone and don't plan to get one soon. What I mean is I have NO data package and don't plan to buy one.
I happen to be a Verizon Customer and have no complaints with my sort of smart phone so if I gave up flying so I could afford a data package it will be with Verizon.

So I'm really only interested in what I can do with a device when I'm NOT in a wifi hot spot. I look at hot spots as a bonus.

My experimenting so far is with a first generation 8g IPod Touch and ForeFlight. ForeFlight downloads maps while your in a wifi spot. When you not or you turn it off it uses what it has downloaded. This includes this Google like street map I was following. I was not in a hot spot, I was not downloading the map. It was there. I don't know how big an area it loads though. It's very possible had I been flying instead of driving that I could have flown off the Google like map that was stored.

I probably have said this before, I'm a died in the wool Apple fan from way back when the Plus and Laserwriter was introduced in the early '80s. Buying the Apple product is a no brainer for me BUT I just don't like the size of the IPad and don't really want to through money, even $200, at a Touch. That is the only reason I'd look at a Android device, different size, except of course if there was a killer Android app that I liked and did everything I wanted it to do.

As others have said there doesn't seem to be a killer app for the Android and as far as I'm concerned I really haven't found a killer app for the Apple product either.

Bill Hart

Post by Bill Hart »

Bruce Fenstermacher wrote:I don't know how big an area it loads though. It's very possible had I been flying instead of driving that I could have flown off the Google like that was stored
Bruce, I have an I pad and use Fore Flight and never had an issue with flying off the map in the U.S. I did have issues with it while I was in Afganastan but that was due more to lack of a decent wifi signal to load the maps.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Foreflight pre-loads the maps.
You select what sectionals you want and (when you're online) it fetches and saves them.
It's just like paper maps after that. You either have them or you dont and they do expire.

Without a data plan, the iPad is like an electronic flight bag with the perks of extra "games and stuff".

You have full access to all the sectional you've downloaded and AFD data.
Plus, flight planning and such.
With a data plan or hotspot, you get weather and email :)

I read more about that iFly 700 and I think I'll go that route. It's slightly smaller than the iPad, has a real GPS and does most everything ForeFlight can do plus more. And later this summer, it will be able to download weather via ADSB.
</$0.02>
Bruce Fenstermacher

When I wondered about flying of the map I was talking about the Google like street map not the downloaded sectionals.