Avcon Throttle part number

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Gary

Avcon Throttle part number

Post by Gary »

My 0360 is off the plane and on a little field trip to Penn Yan for a complete overhaul. I am replacing a bunch of stuff while the engine is removed. The end sleeve has come loose from my throttle cable. I sent it to McFarlane to replace it and was told that they could make one for me, but would not be FAA-PMA approved and would require a field approval. They compared the stock 170 throttle cable that they have and was told the original has no swivel end, has 3 wear sleeves and is 47" long. The one I sent them has swivel ends, no wear sleeves, is 48" long and the clamp points are different. They know it is an AVCON conversion and suggested that the STC holder may have manufacturing approval and might have an approved control. Any suggestions???
blueldr

Re: Avcon Throttle part number

Post by blueldr »

Do you actually suppose that anyone would be so picky that they would want to see the authority for the installation of a particular throttle cable installed on your airplane?
I would install the McFarlane cable and not loose a minute of sleep about it.
BL
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Replace it with exactly what was already existing (unless you LIKE re-inventing the wheel and digging up bones.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Blue4

Post by Blue4 »

Gary, is your difficulty in finding the appropriate replacement per the Avcon STC? My Avcon 360 has a vernier throttle which I loathe, and would like to replace with a more-standard throttle control. I haven't scoured the drawings to see what was originally specified.

If we have to get parts approval from the STC holder, I think even George would agree that will likely take some time and patience.
JohnNielsen

Post by JohnNielsen »

If mine, go with a new 48" throttle cable assy (best price is from Vans Aircraft and they have too much to lose by selling sorry stuff). I stand by my belief that our planes were born with TCDS under CAR3 were the terms 'PMA' did not exist. Part 23 grandfathered CAR3 aircraft to be able to remain in that wonderfully simple world.
John