Wiring Harness

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Forrest Walton

Wiring Harness

Post by Forrest Walton »

The time has come for a new wiring harness. 1952 170B with a C-145 and Slick mags.

Interested in the pros and cons on different manufacturers, ie. Slick or Champion.

Thanks!

Forrest
N2280D
Living the Dream!
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Several years ago,I put a new hampion harness on my bendix mags. A couple years after that,I majored the engine at which time I put on new Slick mags with Slick harnesses. Main difference was color: I recall that the champion harness was red,the Slick is kinda braided-stainless. Slick harness seems slightly more flexible,with regards to bending right above the plug connector to clear the airbox baffling on my ragwing.
I'd say go with whichever one you can get a better deal on. At the time (July 98 ),I paid $273 for a Champion CH12130 harness. That's about what my year-old Spruce catalog lists them at. Lists comparable Slick harness for about the same. That Spruce catalog also lists Aero-Lite & ACS brand harnesses for around the $180 mark--quite a bit cheaper! You might consider those.

Eric
DensityDog

Post by DensityDog »

Forrest,
Last harness I put on my old 170 was an Aero-Lite II from Spruce. I liked it and thought the quality was very good. You can get it in blue, black or red, and also you can get the elbow fittings at the spark plug ends, kinda makes a neat installation for the 170 with the inner air baffle.
Mine was for a Bendix mag, and I see you have Slick so I cant make a direct comparison though.
I have bought Champion harnesses, they are good too. They all seem to be pretty good, actually, when new, anyway, all numbered so it makes for easy routing. I guess the proof is in how long they last.
Take note, the ACS harness in Aircraft Spruce requires a field approval for installation on certificated aircraft.
Max