Say Goodbye to TCP ...(NOT)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

spadpilot

Say Goodbye to TCP ...(NOT)

Post by spadpilot »

Chatted on the phone yesterday with Jimmy Brod of JB Aircraft Engine Services in Sebring, FL. He informed me that ECi of San Antonio, the manufacturers of Titan Cylinders is announcing at Sun'n'Fun that they will soon have available a cylinder assembly for the C145/O300 that has a rotating exhaust valve. This should cure the infamous sticking valve once and for all.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There's nothing new about valve rotators. Lots of big-bore Continentals have them. ECI makes good products but there's nothing new to valve rotators (and they don't do anything for sticking valves. They are designed to prevent a hot spot from carbon burning a valve seat.) I had valve rotators in my 206 (IO-520-A) and my Baron (IO-470's) and still had occasional valve problems until I started using TCP. (And rotators do nothing about spark plug fouling, crankcase sludge, abrasive lead build-up on pistons and exhaust pipes, or sticking rings.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
spadpilot

Oh Well - Still looking for that endless supply of TCP

Post by spadpilot »

George,

You sure know how to burst a guy's hopes.

J. Clifford
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Sorry. :?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)