Rear seat replacement

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

flyingpumkin

Rear seat replacement

Post by flyingpumkin »

Does anybody have information on a source for an STC'd hammock-type rear seat for the 170B?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

A search for "rear seat" found a comment by Shawn regarding his feelings for his hammock rear seat:

Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 10:51 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the sling seat in my 170B, it was in it when I bought it. My opinion is save your money until you can buy the Atlee or BAS seats. They arn't that much more expensive than the sling seat. And with them you get cargo tie downs and easily stowable or removable seats, you also have the flexibility of only having one installed. The sling seat is probably the most uncomfortable thing you have ever sat in. If you are over about 5'8" your head will rub. About 40 minutes is about all a guy can stand to sit in it. I bought lawn chair cushions for it and it did help alot but you compromise your already limited head room. To top it all off they aren't that easy to remove and install. Just my two cents.
Shawn
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

A few years ago,an outfit in Anchorage named Cargo-Pass sold an STC'd rear hammock seat. I think the price was around a grand. I agree with Shawn,I'd rather spend a little more to get fold-up jump seats. I think the BAS are cleaner than the Atlee-Dodge,but they cost more too.
You might think about installing 180/185 separate RH/LH ("thid row") rear seats. They're not fold-ups,but they come out real easy--2 bolts each. I installed a RH seat that I bought used for $150,plus another $50 or so for a seatbelt & hardware. It's a field-approval/337 show,so you need to work with a friendly FAA guy on it.

Eric
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Hi Eric, I tried to get the Attlee Dodge seats past my local FSDO and it was a No-Go (Hillsboro...they have a reputation for no-go's). I flew into Swanson's strip and looked at the BAS ( read expensive) seats. I also visited Atlee Dodge while at the Anchorage convention and looked at his. What did you like better about the BAS? Sitting here in a foot of snow and freezing rain.

Joe Moilanen
zero.one.victor

Hi Joe. I just think the BAS installation looks a little cleaner. What's the price difference? I think Bud Blancher is selling his (BAS) these days for around $1550 a pair,or $825 for a single. Part of the reason for the high price,I think,is that Bud doesn't really puch the seat. He advertises the seat belt/harnesses & the pull handles,you have to ask about the seats. I think from what he told me once that they're kind of a pain in the patootie to fabricate,whereas I think he has the harnesses fabricated elsewhere. Not sure if he makes the pull-handles himself or not.
Did you already buy the Atlee-Dodge seats,or did you contact your FSDO first? I think Bud's are STC'd for the 170,not sure about that though.
I like my fixed jump seat, have you considered that option? Easy removal,but not easy stowable. That stowing is what I think is kinda cheesy about both the A-D & the BAS seats--they both utilize (usually) a bungee cord to hold the seat up in the stowed position. Seems like it wouild be pretty easy to think up a trick little widget to take the place of the bungee--maybe a piece of webbing with a snap or velcro.

Eric
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Haven't purchased any of the seats yet. I like the idea of being able to change configurations while away from home, otherwise the removable seats would be the way to go. Thanks for the info. Yes, the BAS seats are STC'd for the 170 and Atlee Dodge claims that he is in the process but I'm not to sure that it'll ever come about.

Joe
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Joe

I had the BAS in the 181 and loved them. The only thing was most of the time they were stowed up which takes a little room out of the cargo area. Yes they are expensive but they are fine quality and LEGAL with no hassles. That's worth a lot. I would consider one only if you could get by with that.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
zero.one.victor

I just looked at Atlee Dodge's website. It sez that the seats "fits Cessna 170 thru 185,$1200/pair including kit & STC".
Doesn't specifically say that they're STC'd for the 170,but it sure implies it. Quite a bit cheaper than the BAS seats.
It's STC SA 02008AK,in case anyone wants to look up the particulars.

Eric
zero.one.victor

I just looked up the particulars myself,on the FAA's STC website (http://www.airweb.faa.gov ---etc etc etc) & as near as I can tell,the STC eligibility list includes all models of the 170.

Eric