Need Fuel Cap Part #

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Pat Phillips

Need Fuel Cap Part #

Post by Pat Phillips »

Anyone got a part # for the vented fuel cap.......Thanks Pat Phillips
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

C156003-0101
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
N73087

Post by N73087 »

Should the caps be vented or not? My 51 A model has the vent in the center of the cabin top, and has unvented caps. I tried vented caps, and pushed a lot of fuel out over the wings. Went back to the unvented, and am keeping the wings clean. I also expect to see improved consumption.
JJH55

Post by JJH55 »

Check out the link to the AD's. As of May 30, 1988, one vented cap is required.
N73087

Post by N73087 »

I just read the AD, Where is the "fuel tank vent valve?"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The AD note requires a vented fuel cap on the right filler.
A fuel vent check-ball type modification was issued by Cessna (since rescinded) which installed a keeper and ball in the "gooseneck" to prevent fuel splashing out in hard braking stops.
The mod was rescinded because it caused more serious problems than it solved, especially blockage of the vent.
A relief-hole mod was also issued for the back-side of the gooseneck, and it too was rescinded because of siphoning of fuel thru the relief hole.
The final and satistactory solution was installation of a vented fuel cap.
If yours leaks, it's most likely due to a dry/cracked cap gasket or a leaking vent check-valve. (Just any ol' vented cap from NAPA won't do. Get the real thing from Cessna or other legal source.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)