push button starter

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

hairy

push button starter

Post by hairy »

Recentlypurchased a 1953 B model. Has a original delco starter but pull cable and activation arm removed & a solenoid mounted on top with elect. connections & assembly to engage clutch. Works great. No paper work or log entrys. Original owner thinks installed pre 1974. No no's . Is hopefully used on some other aircraft engine. If so would at least try for field approval. Any ideas. Harry
doakes

Post by doakes »

Dear Harry,
Maybe ,remove what you have and either put reinstall all original or buy one of those new starters-I forget what they are called- and you get a stc.
Problem solved I think
Dave
GAHorn

Re: push button starter

Post by GAHorn »

hairy wrote:Recentlypurchased a 1953 B model. Has a original delco starter but pull cable and activation arm removed & a solenoid mounted on top with elect. connections & assembly to engage clutch. Works great. No paper work or log entrys. Original owner thinks installed pre 1974. No no's . Is hopefully used on some other aircraft engine. If so would at least try for field approval. Any ideas. Harry
Harry, are you saying that there's an electrical actuator of some sort that pushes the start-clutch forward to engage the drive gear, as well as close the actuation switch on the starter-case?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I've never seen or heard of any mod like this. Are you sure that it's the original starter? I don't see how a solenoid on top would be made to work the starter clutch,which is underneath the starter. Sounds to me like it almost must be a different (aftermarket) starter unit.
It's not a D model O-300 with the angle starter,is it?

Eric