Interested in attending my first I170 convention but......

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Harold Holiman

FAA Inspectors at Conventions

Post by Harold Holiman »

Dave,

So far, all FAA personnel at conventions have been "friendly". At the Shelbyville, IN convention there was a FAA inspector on the program on "airport day". He offered to do ramp checks on a voluntary basis on anybody's airplane and not write any violations on any defects he found. A number of us took him up on his offer. The only thing he found on my plane was lacking a compass dievation card. Later on the program he went over all he had found. He had found several planes missing labels on their seat belts and some planes were missing various paperwork, plus a few other minor things. I think he inspected ten or twelve or so planes. These voluntary inspections may have saved owners a fine in the future if the same defects had been found during a real enforcement ramp check. At the Shelbyville convention this FAA guy was really sincere when he said "We are here to help you".

Harold H
Mbr # 893
4583C

Post by 4583C »

I can only echo the sentiments expressed above by my 170 friends I'd never have met except for TIC170 assoc. conventions. My only regret about my membership is the ten years I was a member before attending our first convention in Jennings, Louisana. The hospitality and friendship we experienced at that first convention have brought us back year after year despite the expense and the time traveling. I haven't forgotten driving 17 hours straight with 3 kids in a van I had owned less than 24 hours when we left in route to Pennsylvania. Notice the reference to the dreaded "d" word. I flew to the first two and have either driven or flown the "silver tube" ever since.( Yes, George and Frank, I'm working on it) I mention this bit of embarrassment just so you know you will be accepted even without your very own 170 out on the field.
My best description of a 170 convention is "like a big family reunion,except everybody gets along!" Try it, you'll like it! Paul Wood
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

AR Dave wrote:Has the FAA ever showed up at a convention to inspect planes?
Seems like this would be the place to be if you're an 170 inspector.
Two of our very own ARE FAA inspectors! Ken Spivey (TIC170A Safey Officer) and our 2002-2004 President, Harley Pickett. (But you gotta come to the convention to pick up your very own "Get Out of Jail Free" cards! ) :lol:

Hey Ken! Speakin' of questionable maintenance,....do you still have those "airworthy" elevator tips on your airplane? You better get in touch if you still want my last set of NOS Cessna tips! :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Attending First Convention

Post by 170C »

I have already used up my time here saying what I feel about how great the conventions are, but reading Paul's comments brought home a point that had I not ever decided to go to my first convention, also in Jennings, LA, Becky I would not have met Paul, Debra & family & they live 30 or so miles away! Of course there are the numerous others that have, as Paul says, become "family". It is a great group. And Paul, I am glad you mentioned that you "are working on it". I guess George and I are going to have to harass you some more to get that thing back in the air. Can't say too much though, my hangar project, started in May, is still not quite finished, but its getting close. And speaking of 170 ers getting their planes back in the air-------how about it Cleo?????????
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
4583C

Post by 4583C »

170C wrote:

I guess George and I are going to have to harass you some more to get that thing back in the air.

Hey, you guys have been harassing me for years! How bout we have a work day?
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

Paul,

You need to get real creative and figure out a way to BOTH fly your plane to the convention AND take Debra's cute convertible to the convention. That way you will have plenty of toys to play with at the convention.

Harold
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Hey Harold! Paul can stay home! As long as he just sends Debra! :P
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Harold Holiman

Post by Harold Holiman »

George,

I agree. That sounds like an excellent idea to me :lol:

Harold
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Maybe I do need to come, just to check out Debra :wink:
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180