Control Yokes

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

pdb

Re: Control Yokes

Post by pdb »

What kind of firm did the laser etching and in what format did you supply the graphics? These look really cool.
Pete Brown
Anchorage, Alaska
N4563C 1953 170B
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2366/2527 ... 4e43_b.jpg
Sandy170

Post by Sandy170 »

I agree those black yokes with the laser etched Cessna logo are VERY nice! For me, I am considering a non-original <gasp> yoke with shaped grips, something like yokes from the 177 Cardinal. Do you have any yoke replacement tips & tricks you could share with me?
Attachments
Shaped Yoke.jpg
Shaped Yoke.jpg (7.6 KiB) Viewed 10356 times
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Yes.
Don't.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

If you do swap them, PLEASE, safe the originals so when you sell the aircraft again they are still available to the new owner to switch back. Or as George said, just don't
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

gahorn wrote:Yes.
Don't.
I agree. Unless it is something in the name of safety such as Cleveland wheels and brakes, one should not put odd ball modifications on a beautiful classic type airplane......IMHO.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

The originality gestapo all say "Don't", at least until they can afford to get that TCM IO-360 mod.
BL
Ryan Smith

Post by Ryan Smith »

blueldr wrote:The originality gestapo all say "Don't", at least until they can afford to get that TCM IO-360 mod.
Not just the IO-360, but the dual landing lights, baggage door, electric attitude indicator, and LEDs.

It all adds up! :lol:

Just kidding, George. Minus the big engine, I want all of the other stuff for 56D.
170C

Post by 170C »

Sandy, you have asked an important question and you are getting quite a few responses. All are well meaning and I will add my own as well. The most important thing is its your airplane and you can do whatever you choose. Those yokes look very nice and if you feel they will be more comfortable or user friendly than the factory ones then by all means change them out. Should you decide later you aren't happy with them you can change them back to the original ones. The thing I think all of us would agree upon is to hang onto the factory yokes if you do change them out. They are worth some $ and should you decide at some later date to sell your 170 you may want to put them back on or offer to sell them to a new owner.

As an aside, I have rams horn yokes on my plane and I like them much better than the original 140/170/172/180 ones. Just a personal opinion.

Good luck :!:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

170C wrote:Sandy, you have asked an important question and you are getting quite a few responses. All are well meaning and I will add my own as well. The most important thing is its your airplane and you can do whatever you choose. Those yokes look very nice and if you feel they will be more comfortable or user friendly than the factory ones then by all means change them out. Should you decide later you aren't happy with them you can change them back to the original ones. The thing I think all of us would agree upon is to hang onto the factory yokes if you do change them out. They are worth some $ and should you decide at some later date to sell your 170 you may want to put them back on or offer to sell them to a new owner.

As an aside, I have rams horn yokes on my plane and I like them much better than the original 140/170/172/180 ones. Just a personal opinion.

Good luck :!:
Said by the guy with the square tail. Keep that in mind. :roll:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
170C

Post by 170C »

And its GREEN! :mrgreen:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Electric attitude...?...Electric attitude....????
Hmmmmnnn.....
:lol:
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Aryana wrote:Flipping the stock/original yokes upside down gives you a lot more legroom and emulates the ergonomics and hand position of the later style yokes without spending any money. You just crawl under the panel and remove one nut/bolt per side, turn the shaft 180 degrees and reinstall the fasteners.
Just don't fly faster than 115 mph. (Va) :lol:
Sandy170

Post by Sandy170 »

Thank you, Ole Pokey! A yoke replacement is just a wish list item for now. My focus is on the must-have list right now----such as a correct oil temp gauge.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Well lets see a picture of the "incorrect" oil temperature gauge and we can critique it as well as the merits of changing it.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com