Navigation Systems for iPads

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Karl Towle

Re: Navigation Systems for iPads

Post by Karl Towle »

Foreflight on an iPad Air makes navigation VFR or IFR about as painless as it gets. Configure it with a 10 minute flight path vector out the nose, then steer to keep that blue line on top of the magenta line, and with 5 Meter accuracy, you're always where you want to be.

Has anyone discussed mounts for the iPad yet? My vote is for the "MyGoFlight" suction cup mount with articulating arm. In October, I flew an extended cross country with this mount, accumulating just shy of 39 hours. I never once had to re-seat the suction cup on the side of my windshield! It can be adjusted to place the iPad just where you want it, and allows very easy rotation between portrait and landscape presentations as well as removal so you can take the iPad to the FBO/Hotel. I'll add some pictures when I get a chance.
170C

Post by 170C »

I am just getting started with my iPad but I got a Ram cradle for my mini and used a long Ram device to connect it to a Ram ball attached to where my old gps was mounted (instrument panel). I think this is going to work well
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

170C wrote:I am just getting started with my iPad but I got a Ram cradle for my mini and used a long Ram device to connect it to a Ram ball attached to where my old gps was mounted (instrument panel). I think this is going to work well
Frank, why don't you fire that thing up with S17 as a destination and come on down sometime ?
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

For my iPad Mini, I tried both the suction cup and the yoke mount from RAM, and prefer the yoke mount. It can mount the tablet at an angle such that the only instrument that's blocked is the clock (in MY airplane). I've heard others say they don't like the weight on the yoke, but I didn't have any problem with it. As far as ForeFight itself is concerned, the ONLY problem I have with it is that it didn't tell me where NOT to park at Creve Coeur...
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
170C

Post by 170C »

Miles, I understand that the next FF update will have that caution included :roll:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
170C

Post by 170C »

Ed, a trip to S17 would be fun sometime!
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
robw56

Post by robw56 »

I recently made a new panel for my 170 and installed an AirGizmos panel dock for the IPad Mini running foreflight in the center. I really like the way it turned out. Foreflight is a great app and in using it in combination with my 496(also mounted with a AirGizmos panel dock is great! All the information they provide right at your finger tips is amazing. I would post a picture but it is too large, you'll have to click on this link: https://www.backcountrypilot.org/images ... 520eec.jpg

EDIT:Fixed link
Last edited by robw56 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rydfly

Post by rydfly »

Just to add my 2-cents (not that anybody asked! :wink: ), I've been using Wing-X on my Ipad2 for 3 years now and it's been great for all of my needs, which are VFR only. I recently upgraded my bluetooth GPS to an ADS-B compatible unit, which now gives me in-flight weather info at my fingertips.

I'd get an ipad mini if I had it all to do again. The full sized ipad is a little akward sometimes and to big on my panel to mount.
1953 C170B - N170RP S/N 25865
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Hope you don't mind, Rob; I downsized your photo for upload here...
8de0f7bcae05583e78520eec.jpg
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
robw56

Post by robw56 »

Not at all, thanks Miles!
LBPilot82

Post by LBPilot82 »

I've been working on my CFII for WAY too long now (should finally be taking the checkride in a month or so) but I really enjoy the full size iPad with Foreflight. I use the RAM suction cup with ball mount to the side of the windscreen and no instruments are blocked. Flying from the right seat, the iPad is mounted on the right side. Of course it works just as well from the left seat/left side. The only problem would be for those who want it rotated to landscape as it may not fit quite as well. I tried flying with the iPad on a leg strap and just didn't like it because of the drastic head movements required to go back and forth from the panel. I haven't tried a yoke mount yet for fear of blocking too much of the panel.
photo (2)resize.jpg
Richard Dach
49' A Model N9007A
SN 18762
robw56

Post by robw56 »

Thanks Arayana, I was going for a clean looking, light weight VFR panel. I saved about 17lbs by removing the old original artificial horizon, DG, suction gauge, vacuum regulator, lines, both venturis, clock, and old turn and slip.
roamak

Post by roamak »

Man I really like the way that panel is set up.
So, for someone like me who has little interest in airport to airport, weather updates, flight plans, etc, which of the iPad apps has the best maps. Things like terrain, and is there a way to zoom in and see if the creek your following has a name? Not just the average vfr sectional type map but one with detail. Is there such a thing?
Greg
N87045
'53 170B
0-360 180H.P.
robw56

Post by robw56 »

Foreflight has a great terrain feature called hazard advisor which can be turned on or off. I have mine set so anything from 50 feet below my altitude or above it will be red and anything from 300ft below me to 50ft will be yellow. You have the option to change these numbers. The map being displayed can be set on sectional, WAC, satellite, IFR low or high, street, terrain, or world map. On the "street map" it actually has contour lines for terrain and shows roads and bodies of water. Some small creeks might have a name and some other ones might not show the name.
roamak

Post by roamak »

Thanks Rob, I have been flying so long with my 295 for navigation when needed and my 60csx for terrain and information. Been studying the big players but cant really get a grasp on the mapping features of them. So with that info, Foreflight will be what I try first.
Did i mention I really like your panel layout?! 8)
Greg
N87045
'53 170B
0-360 180H.P.