Looking for Help on a 170 in Germany

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Ron Williams

Looking for Help on a 170 in Germany

Post by Ron Williams »

An aquaintance is looking for help in restoring and maintaining a 170B in Germany. He has tried several German aircraft mechanics and of those even willing to look at the project, none have been able to give him much of an estimate to restore the airplane and engine.
This fellow apparently learned to fly in the U.S. and got his conventional gear endorsement in a CE170, fell in love with the airplane, and bought a project when he returned to Germany.
I have suggested he join the Association and start asking questions here, but I've not seen anything from him.
Your recommendations?
ron williams
(cold in Wichita)
bertibub

C17 restoration

Post by bertibub »

We bought a 170A in Switzerland and restored it in United Kingdom and have the scars to prove it. There are many ways to do it but at the end of the day if you do it yourself it is cheaper but takes a lot longer. There are ways to do it more cheaply than sending to an expert in the US. I would be happy to help and discuss the options much as we did. A lot depends on whether you have an old aircraft that simply needs put back with loving care whilst being renovated and you genuinely have all the bits or whether it was a landing accident airframe that is a repair project.
Contact me privately at gregoribub@aol.com
Cheers
Bert
Wolfgang

Germany

Post by Wolfgang »

Hello Ron.

The aviation - and oldtimer scene in Germany is much different to the USA. I have the same problem with my C170 B project in Germany.

German mechanican can do only oil - changes and changes of complete assembly units. If it is at a aircraft more to do, it is very very expensive.

Therfore you have only two alternatives:

1.) Pay very great amounts for very high priced hourly rates. Then the C170 B will cost much more than a new one. It is realy very expensive!

2.) Invest a lot of time and trouble to restore the aircraft by your self. But this is a big problem too, then you need a inspector (A&P with IA) how accept your work.

If any German pilot will ask me, if he should buy a reparable C170 B - Project for small money, I will answer:

- "Do it only, if you are a A&P with IA!"
- "Do it only, if you have 50.000,- USD money for playing, which do you not use for living."
- "Do it only, if you have a cheap hangar with tools."

I know in Germany four reparable C170B - projects. And all together have the same problems:

- We undervalued the costs.
- We undervalued the technical know, which is necessary to build up a aircraft.
- We undervalued the buisiness methodes in aviation. They are very hard.
- We overestimate us.

I hope I can build up my C170 B nevertheless. But now it will cost a lot of time. :?

I am interested to speak with your German friend. Please write me a privat message with the contact.
Best regards.
Wolfgang
4-Shipp

Post by 4-Shipp »

Wolfgang,

If you are close to a US military instalation (prefereably an aviation unit - Air Force or Army) you might want to investigate that group of folks for some light aircraft expertise. There is a good chance that you will find either a US pilot or maintenance technitian that has experience from back home either as an A & P, or as an experimental aircraft builder. Chances are if they were active back in the US, they don't have the opportunity to participate in their hobby while overseas and may be eager to help.

I don't know what privilages they would have in Germany as far as legally signing work off but their knowledge may be helpfull in avoiding some of the local labor costs. Good luck.

Bruce
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
Wolfgang

good idea

Post by Wolfgang »

Hello Bruce.

Thank you for this good idea. I am often near Ramstein and there is a airbase from the US Airforce and a maintenance group. I found the adress in the internet and I wrote a email to this group a few minutes ago.

Let us see what will happen.
Best regards.
Wolfgang