Confused re Oil Temp and Pressure gauges

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Iceman07

Confused re Oil Temp and Pressure gauges

Post by Iceman07 »

My annual is due at the end of this month. My wrench tells me that I need a new oil temp and oil pressure gauge.

He is telling me that I have to have the Cessna replacement part. (Part numbers 0411016-2 and 0411017-3) doing a search on these forums, these parts are no longer available or repairable (though that last bit is debatable)

So I'm looking through all of the on-line catalogs, and though there are a ton of oil instruments out there, I can't find anything that specifically says "Replacement for Cessna 170. This is just freaking my mechanic out. He is telling me that the instruments must be TSO'd specifically for a Cessna 170.

Any suggestions for reasonably priced replacement oil temp and press gauges?

I really think I need to find another mechanic. Anybody know of one in the North East that knows 170s?
N5740C 1950 'A' Model
DWood

Re: Confused re Oil Temp and Pressure gauges

Post by DWood »

Pictures would help. Did someone put automotive aftermarket gauges in your airplane?
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

Iceman07 wrote:
I really think I need to find another mechanic. Anybody know of one in the North East that knows 170s?
Yep. This guy doesn't have a clue.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Are you at all sure that this guy is properly certificated to perform this maintenance?
BL
pmel22

Post by pmel22 »

Funny....I have the same thing going on with my 56 172. I had a sender fail, which is no longer available and now I think I just want to install "mechanical gauges"..where in the Northeast are you, I am on Long island...
Iceman07

Post by Iceman07 »

pmel22 wrote:Funny....I have the same thing going on with my 56 172. I had a sender fail, which is no longer available and now I think I just want to install "mechanical gauges"..where in the Northeast are you, I am on Long island...
Based at Hartford (Brainard).
N5740C 1950 'A' Model
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

TSO stands for Technical Standard Order. There would never be a TSO for a specific airplane. A TSO is more general than that.

There were no TSOs when the 170 was made. Your 170 does not require TSO'd equipment meaning the equipment meets a specific TSO. Equipment meaning radios, gauges and such.

There are suitable gauges available. But I have never seen a guage that Keystone Instruments in Lockhaven, PA can't rebuild.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Aryana wrote:Checking to ensure you have the right one and that it's functioning properly is always a great idea.
I'm referring to your mechanic 8O :wink:
Some of the reluctance to do what is sensible for both the plane and it's owner is tempered by the (malpractice) liability. Even seasoned AIs have tightened up on trivia just to make sure they don't get their proverbial mammary gland in the wringer. Your guy may be a newbie, looking to impress the fisdo at your expense. You never really said whether the gauges were functioning or just old looking. Oh, and pictures help.
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!