Wing tips

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

echild

Wing tips

Post by echild »

About three weeks ago there was a microburst at McCollum Field (RYY) in North Atlanta, GA. As luck would have it out of seven planes damaged mine suffered two wings banged in, an aileron, elevator and rudder. One wing tip was shattered and needs to be replaced. This was done after all new cylinders, interior, tires and a lot of other stuff. It just goes to show ya.

I have an extra set of metal wingtips that have no droop to them. I suspect they may be originals. The ones that were damaged had a slight curve downward of about three inches.

The question is what were the originals like? Would the slight droop have altered the handling characteristics to any degree? If I should go back to the slight droop, where would I look?

Everett 49 EC
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I've flown airplanes with both types wingtips, and could tell no difference.
knesbitt

Post by knesbitt »

I have flown both types.....couldn't tell the difference....I like the look of the old ones
FlyingJack

Post by FlyingJack »

Did your airplane just have the droop tips, or does it have a complete STOL kit installed? If the tips are part of an STC'd STOL kit, then I believe you have to replace the droop tips with identical ones to be legal with the STC.