Questions regarding buying a 170A.

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

msu94

Questions regarding buying a 170A.

Post by msu94 »

Well this will need a little background info

There is a 51 or 52 170A, that had an engine failure right after takeoff, and had a forced landing. It hit a stump while and rolled onto its back.

It was fixed, and the person who owned and fix it, died shortly afterwards. Very possibly the paperwork is not caught up to where it should be from that, but it was flown twice before he died.

It was given by the widow, to one of his friends, who has not flown it, or annualed it in the past 8 year.
I can probably get it for fairly cheap, below 10, but I know there will be expenses to get it up to date for the annual, and possible catching up on ADs.

Have there been any ADs in the past 10 years, and how major?

And what is involved in catching up the paperwork on the repairs, if the person truly did not get it all done on paper before he died?
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

First if it is a 170A it is a 51 or earliar.

I can't think of any significant ADs in the last 10 years.

You will have to get with an IA to review the books to see if the repairs are documented and the aircraft was returned to service. If not the IA will have to review the repairs to make sure they meet exceptable standards and practices. If he likes the work he would then complete the paperwork which means he'd be saying the aircraft is airworthy as far as the repairs would go.

You will need an annual inspection which when completed the IA would be certifying that the airplane meets the type certificate data, complies with all ADs since the aircraft was new and meets any other applicable FARs such at the requirement to have a transponder.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Bill Venohr

Post by Bill Venohr »

In addition to Bruce's comments, I would probably be concerned about the engine. An overhaul, in addition to the other costs to get the airframe up to speed, might make the price go out the high end. It might be a real jewel in the rough and I think it would be worth the money to get a mechanic to give it a good look.
Bill Venohr
N4044V
Aurora, CO
n3833v

Buying 170A

Post by n3833v »

If it hit a stump and damaged the gear box, you are in big time trouble. I am now looking at repair in the gear box and finding it entails much more.
John - n3833v
msu94

Post by msu94 »

As far as I know, all the repair work as been done to it. But I have not had a chance to look at it up close yet. But from how things sound, it could work out. I even found a mechanic who trained in a 170 who would trade work on it, for flying time.

Yeah having no ADs come out since this happened is good. I just hope any others were caught up, and of course I would verify all this.
N4316B

Post by N4316B »

I would be very cautious about purchasing an airplane that has been sitting around for 8 years. Prepare for an engine overhaul. And beware that given engine corrosion, a reputable shop will charge anywhere from $14000 to $22000 for an O300 overhaul. Sure, you can get a cheaper one reusing many of the corroded parts. But do you really want to fly in that?

msu94 wrote:As far as I know, all the repair work as been done to it. But I have not had a chance to look at it up close yet. But from how things sound, it could work out. I even found a mechanic who trained in a 170 who would trade work on it, for flying time.

Yeah having no ADs come out since this happened is good. I just hope any others were caught up, and of course I would verify all this.