Jugheadl Loading a boat and wheelbarrow in a 170B

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

counsellj

Jugheadl Loading a boat and wheelbarrow in a 170B

Post by counsellj »

Ever wonder just how big a boat and wheelbarrow one can put into a B-Model?

beaverbill

Re: Jugheadl Loading a boat and wheelbarrow in a 170B

Post by beaverbill »

I did like the idea of recycling the boat as a pair of floats. Now if you can find another wheelbarrow, I'm thinking you are well on your way to having a pair of wheel skis as well. Rube Goldberg would be proud of you! :D
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Seeing Jugheads fun adventures and turning the airplane around in the water’s edge for takeoff reminds me of why I recommend MARINE TRAILER WHEEL BEARING GREASE for wheel bearings and tailwheel service. (It’s extremely water resistant.). This is important even if you don’t roll around in water... What if you wash your airplane... or land on a paved runway with a puddle... ?? Airplane wheel bearings are not sealed-up such as automotive bearings are.
Remember...DO NOT MIX DIFFERENT TYPES OF GREASES. Read the lable. Do not mix “lithium” based grease with “calcium” or “aluminum” or etc etc. Remove all traces of old grease when servicing with new grease. :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

George, this is what initially got me into my tailwheel issue. I started using marine grease last year but hadn't opened up the Scott to clean out the Aero Shell 5. I knew when I did I would likely find some parts that needed replacing. Just didn't think I'd find as many :( I am well satisfied with the marine grease in my 3 wheel's bearings and I'm sure it will work well in the Scott.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

HCF 605 grease is what Cleveland recommends for amphibious operations. In their Technician's Service Guide they also list OMNI Waterproof Green Grease, No. 2 for amphibious operations. In addition to bearings my concern when I see videos like this is corrosion on expensive magnesium wheels. I suppose the wheels get air dried by the time the plane gets back to base so maybe not as much an issue as it might appear? Looks like a lot of fun.
Gary
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

I have never found any increased corrosion due to my occasional water exposure. I do check them twice per year. I have more concern about the Alkaline dust from the dry lake beds, than the water. I also make sure they are well greased.
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

For what it's worth you might want to consider adding dust shields -- Cleveland p/n 157-00900. Cleveland has also updated the grease seal to replace the old felt style with a molded grease seal (p/n 154-12400).
Gary