BackCountry Flying with Helmets

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

counsellj

BackCountry Flying with Helmets

Post by counsellj »

edbooth

Re: BackCountry Flying with Helmets

Post by edbooth »

Good presentation there Jughead. After 50 years of flying without one, you almost have me convinced. Merry Xmas !
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Thanks for the video Jughead.

When I was in initial training with JAARS I asked my instructor what his opinion was regarding pilots wearing helmets. At that time MAF required their pilots to wear helmets while JAARS did not although some chose to. He thought that maybe bicycle helmets might be something to consider. His concern was that in the tropics sweating in a helmet all day might increase fatigue which would make one more likely to get in an accident. Sweating in a helmet is probably not as much of a concern in the PNW. Another consideration was increased possibility of spinal injury with the extra weight on the head. Given that JAARS Helio Couriers were landing a lot slower than MAF’s C-185s and C-206s wearing a bicycle helmet might have been more appropriate for the Helio Courier’s landing speed.

The other thing your video made me think of is risk compensation. Does having a helmet on allow you to take greater risks than you would without a helmet on? I suppose the same thing could be asked about seatbelts and shoulder harnesses.

The final question is about your passengers. Is it ethical to be wearing a helmet and not having one available for your passengers? Do your passengers get the feeling that flying with you is more risky when you wear a helmet? I’m guessing Dakota will never tell! :)
Gary
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

We certainly endorse shoulder harnesses. We wear them in cars. There are aviation seat-belts with air-bags available. Maybe we should all be driving around in our cars wearing helmets. And armored-vests also in school zones. :cry:

Jughead is right, tho’ to suggest that back-country/off-airport operations carry additional hazards and I don’t blame him for wearing a helmet. I certainly enjoy the videos, Jughead!
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)