Window latch looseness

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

dstates

Window latch looseness

Post by dstates »

One more item on my squawk list...

Both of my window latches are loose at the connection to the window frame. To tighten this back up do we just drill out the rivets and put in two new blind rivets? They are spaced awful close together. Hopefully there is enough material in the window frame for it to work.

Thanks,
Doug
CA7E43A8-535A-4220-9E46-0F2BE7743E27.jpeg
270D5875-E393-4088-9EF1-C9E96A5177C3.jpeg
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
hilltop170

Re: Window latch looseness

Post by hilltop170 »

You answered your own questions. New blind rivets might have to be faced off where they touch each other but there might not be enough "meat" left for them to hold. It's worth a try.

Another (possibly last ditch) option is to enlarge an oblong hole in the bottom side (only) of the window frame large enough for two short tubular bushings or a short bushing such as a NicoPress sleeve with two holes and use small machine screws (socket head cap screws) to firmly attach the latch. The bushings can be sized so that the lock nuts will be contained inside the window frame and not stand proud. This is the method Cessna and McFarlane use for the new-style window latches.
Last edited by hilltop170 on Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
brian.olson

Post by brian.olson »

When we worked on the interior of 62C a year and a half ago, I did exactly that: I trilled out the loose rivets (full transparency: someone in the past had put screws in one side) and then used pop-rivets. Clearance is an issue, as pointed out, but both sides have remained tight since that time. Just be careful around the window itself and use a towel to prevent any accidental scratching of the window's surface.
Brian
1950 170A
N5762C s/n 19716
daedaluscan

Post by daedaluscan »

Mine pulled out of the frame on my last flight. It was cool out.
I replaced with two blind rivets left over from my Sportsman install. Seems solid.
Charlie

1956 170B C-GDRG #27019
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Window integrity can be an issue on these classics.
While returning from the 2002 Las Vegas convention, descending in a “flight of two” into Big Spring, Tx for a snack and fuel, Historian/wingman Cleo Bickford broke out of our loose formation to recover from the surprise of the pilot’s window suddenly blasting open. Louise reached around him to hold it closed until the landing.
In this case, the teardrop hinge-pin on the bottom window-frame latch had mutinied and allowed the window to swing outward and “fly” in the breeze.

I have replaced the entire window frame on my right-side due to a warped frame (unrelated to the issue at-hand) and was surprised to find the upper hinges were loose in the window being removed. (So don’t ignore those upper hinges during inspections.)
I’ve made repairs to the bi-fold latch center-hinge using a “Boston” or “Binding-screw” obtained from True-Value Aircraft Supply. It has performed well for almost 18 years but I had to secure the male screw using RTV (Room Temperature Vulcanizing) sealant on the threads to prevent loosening from vibration.

One of our Members-Gone-West, while descending into Petit Jean lost a complete window in the Arkansas wilderness when the whole assembly left the airplane, and another Member lost one when it departed during climb-out. An extensive search beneath the departure path failed to find it. One wonders about what kind of damage it could do to the tail and empennage/flight controls. (Cabin doors are also susceptible and especially their upper-hinges should be given close inspection. They take a beating from passengers who use the doors to assist in lifting themselves into the airplane.)

Every pre-flight, as well as each inspection is a good time to make close observation of window hinges and latches.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

I've even heard of folks loosing portable gps's out of aircraft windows! No names, no names :mrgreen: :lol:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

170C wrote:I've even heard of folks loosing portable gps's out of aircraft windows! No names, no names :mrgreen: :lol:
That’ what happens when one stuffs a long, lanky 220 pounder and his squeeze into a C-150. Something HAS to “POP” out! :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)