Wheel Pants Removal (And not replacing)

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

DC_Wolfe

Wheel Pants Removal (And not replacing)

Post by DC_Wolfe »

I've done my research on the forums, and I think I know the answer, but just to verify:

As pilot owner, I can remove wheel pants for preventative maintenance (add air to the tires, etc), but I have to replace them when done...

But *legally* I can't leave them off, correct? I need an A&P signoff and a W&B adjustment?
'53 B Model: Ser. #26055
bsdunek

Re: Wheel Pants Removal (And not replacing)

Post by bsdunek »

Good question. George or Bruce would have the best answer.
I take mine off in the fall for winter flying. Don't want slush to freeze the wheels - might make for an exciting landing. Put them back on in the spring. I do make a log book entry with the W&B change.

Smiln' Jack always said: "Smart pilots take their pants off in the winter".
Bruce
1950 170A N5559C
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The key here is what rating a person must have to make a permenant change to a equipment list and adjust the weight and balance.

Pilots adjust weight and balance calculations all the time.

The safest answer ( as we have discussed this before here at the forum ) is an A&P rated person make (or approve) the equipment list and W&B change. In fact you could have them do two scenarios, pants on and pants off.

The person removing the or installing the pants must be rated to do so and an argument can be made a pilot could do that. Who ever does remove or install the pants must make a log entry the work was done and in the case of two W&B scenarios, include which one is current.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I agree with Bruce... If you want the lawyer’s answer get an A&P to do it and log it.

If you want to be practical about it, bluElder would tell you to remove them and store them because that’s the way you bought it... and when you install them ...that’s the way you bought it.

I cannot imagine anyone making a fuss over this, not even an FAA Inspector.... He might roll his eyes... but he won’t even want to do the paperwork on it if he thought you were wrong, and it’d have to be proven it caused the accident to make a fuss over it.

It’s true that you can remove them under Preventive Mx if you’re doing tire changes, which means you also can reinstall them after the tire change. The issue someone would have to argue is whether the airplane is airworthy in the altered condition or not.

Simple solution: Have two equipment lists. Don’t let anyone witness you removing or installing them.

Possible complication: What are you going to do about the backing/mounting plates? To completely remove them you’d have to remove the axle, remove the backing plates, then re-install the axles and confirm alignment. I don’t think ANYONE would surmise that to be either a “simple operation” OR Preventive Mx. And if some Federale needed a bonus point with his cranky-supervisor he’d have a legitimate curiosity as to why you’re operating your airplane with no wheel fairings but with wheel fairing mounting-plates. :|

So, the bottom line, to be completely legal, have your A&P supervise your removal and revision of your equipment list.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
DC_Wolfe

Post by DC_Wolfe »

Thanks for the clarification everyone! I know the issue had been brought up before but wasn't sure what the latest wisdom had settled upon.

I do like everyone's answers, though, legally and practically speaking!

(My wife will be taking her Pvt Pilot checkride in the 170, and the DPE previously owned a maintenance shop, so we just want to make sure everything is as correct as can be on checkride day).
'53 B Model: Ser. #26055
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

gahorn wrote:I agree with Bruce... If you want the lawyer’s answer get an A&P to do it and log it.

If you want to be practical about it, bluElder would tell you to remove them and store them because that’s the way you bought it... and when you install them ...that’s the way you bought it.

I cannot imagine anyone making a fuss over this, not even an FAA Inspector.... He might roll his eyes... but he won’t even want to do the paperwork on it if he thought you were wrong, and it’d have to be proven it caused the accident to make a fuss over it.

It’s true that you can remove them under Preventive Mx if you’re doing tire changes, which means you also can reinstall them after the tire change. The issue someone would have to argue is whether the airplane is airworthy in the altered condition or not.

Simple solution: Have two equipment lists. Don’t let anyone witness you removing or installing them.

Possible complication: What are you going to do about the backing/mounting plates? To completely remove them you’d have to remove the axle, remove the backing plates, then re-install the axles and confirm alignment. I don’t think ANYONE would surmise that to be either a “simple operation” OR Preventive Mx. And if some Federale needed a bonus point with his cranky-supervisor he’d have a legitimate curiosity as to why you’re operating your airplane with no wheel fairings but with wheel fairing mounting-plates. :|

So, the bottom line, to be completely legal, have your A&P supervise your removal and revision of your equipment list.
I own half of a second 170, the other half belonging to a “federale”. Last fall we removed the wheel pants for the winter flying season. We left the mounting plates in place, made no log entry, and didn’t update the equipment list. Just one example of the exercise of common sense at our local FSDO.
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

cessna170bdriver wrote:[

I own half of a second 170, the other half belonging to a “federale”. Last fall we removed the wheel pants for the winter flying season. We left the mounting plates in place, made no log entry, and didn’t update the equipment list. Just one example of the exercise of common sense at our local FSDO.
Just remember, it was 3 federales in OKC that called me one day to ask where they could get the paperwork to operate their ragwing (which they’d owned for 3 years) without a fuel pump. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
rnealon1

Post by rnealon1 »

I have followed this thread with interest since at purchase my aircraft had the mounting plates installed but no wheel pants. No record of installation or removal of either but I have since had it weighed in that condition. In annual now trying to get approval for Lahti installation.

Good Luck,

Bob
Bob Nealon

Southbury, CT