N7A - Change of Guard

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

counsellj

Re: N7A - Change of Guard

Post by counsellj »

300-350 makes a good leg distance. Variables such as wind and limited fuel stops may shorten that. Thanks for the offer in Spokane.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Doubtless that “E” will remain in-place as long as green paint exists on the airplane... :lol:

After the Benton Harbor convention Jamie and I flew N146YS over to Niagara Falls for an overnight and then on to visit my daughter in Manhattan, via the Hudson at 1200’ and a circle around “the Lady”, landing at KLDJ (Linden). (This is the airport to use, IMO,... We parked overnight at KLDJ for 3 days/nights as it was much more affordable than Teterboro or Republic... about $20/nite, waived with a purchase...so we bought 3 sectional charts and fuel.... avoiding ramp fees....may have changed since then. Caught a taxi to the train, then the train to Central Station, Manhattan. Easy-Peasy)

Linden is a taxiway of the former WW2 Ford B24 mfr’g plant.

Anyone planning a Hudson River flight should be certain to take the online course required and print out your certificate of completion.

https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/cou ... eview=true

Sorry for the diversion/hijack.... Congratulations on your new “Caretaker’s Position” of N7A. Enjoy that Tail-Number! Last I heard, FAA no longer allows single-digit registrations except for Official FAA/Gov’t aircraft. (I wonder how it’d look if painted to mimic Air Force One! ... ?) :P
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

gahorn wrote:Doubtless that “E” will remain in-place as long as green paint exists on the airplane... :lol:
Well let's say it'll probably be there as long as that white paint is on the tail. :)
gahorn wrote: Congratulations on your new “Caretaker’s Position” of N7A. Enjoy that Tail-Number! Last I heard, FAA no longer allows single-digit registrations except for Official FAA/Gov’t aircraft. (I wonder how it’d look if painted to mimic Air Force One! ... ?) :P
Thanks George! When we landed in Billings I was admiring a Beaver that had just arrived, meanwhile they were admiring my tail number. They had just picked it up out of Canada the day before and were heading to its new home in Reno. I'm not letting that number go though. I just need to figure out how to make ATC (and Jughead) happy when I say it on the radio. I think I even had him mixing it up there for a while. :oops:
Beaver being worked on by a brave man.
Beaver being worked on by a brave man.
Last edited by Aaron on Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Aaron wrote:
gahorn wrote:Doubtless that “E” will remain in-place as long as green paint exists on the airplane... :lol:
Well let's say it'll probably be there as long as that white paint is on the tail. :)
Hey, Aaron! ... I’ll make a suggestion.... Have it painted by a quality paint shop in Air Force One colors with that N7A number.... and I’ll donate $100 toward the project! (Now if we can get 99 more participants to match that challenge you’ll have ten-grand to have a heck of a paint-job!) :P

Here are several iterations:
6580E96A-C4B6-477A-ACF7-CEA3199BD7D0.jpeg
0096BBBA-B74E-4EF6-8D8F-7B175B915E86.jpeg
57836FC3-6C43-47EF-B258-63BC2A212031.jpeg
Attachments
98696450-E93C-4768-9CFA-AA569AD89B39.jpeg
174C4ABC-45F4-4EF3-9201-3A97FBA20AE3.jpeg
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

"I just need to figure out how to make ATC (and Jughead) happy when I say it on the radio. I think I even had him mixing it up there for a while. :oops:"

Yes, he even had me messing it up a few times. If it was mine, I would sell it faster than I could fly an oil-change off on a NYC to OR cross country.
170C

Post by 170C »

A new paint job?? What is that going to do to the Rat Plane award :roll:
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

170C wrote:A new paint job?? What is that going to do to the Rat Plane award :roll:
DId you not notice those nice, new Cleveland brakes?
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

170C wrote:A new paint job?? What is that going to do to the Rat Plane award :roll:
N7A won the "Most Potential" award, at Bardstown, a one time award. It was never a Rat Plane.

There never was a Rat Plane award as that category can only be determined by the owner and no one else. Paying homage to Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, and spoofing the Association logo, I did bestow a plagiarized Rat Plane Sticker on my first 170 N9149A, not N7A.
RatPlaneAssoLogo.jpg
RatPlaneAssoLogo.jpg (112.41 KiB) Viewed 14620 times
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Aaron wrote:I'm not letting that number go though. I just need to figure out how to make ATC (and Jughead) happy when I say it on the radio. I think I even had him mixing it up there for a while.
It is easy. November seven alpha.

What is not as easy is answering ATC when they ask for a full call sign. If they asked nicely I just reply "that is the full call sign". On at least one occasion ATC took the time to scold me for checking in with an abbreviated call sign. In that case I answered "I did check in with the full call sign, but feel free to make up as many more numbers as you want".

As N7A was first registered to the Goodyear blimp Puritian, decomissioned in '49, when I passed through the Canton Ohio, area, home of the GoodYear blimp fleet, I thought ATC might have a comment about it. But no, to my disappointment, they just acknowledged without question.

A matter that might interest everyone, the original registration was N9087A. Within two months of leaving Cessna hands, still in '49, the registration was changed to N7A and Goodyear crosswind brakes where installed.

Aaron, don't worry, you will get use to and relish having a unique registration number.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

Well, work and Montana thunderstorms are finally clearing out of the way. I am headed back to Billings this evening and Aaron and I will be airborne for what should be an easy three hop trip to Portland, OR area tomorrow. Weather is forecast to be clear and fairly calm.

Jughead
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I’ve always liked Billings as a stopping point, guess I’ll have to hole up in Livingston now that I’m no ADSB ops. Once through Mullan Pass what will be your preferred routing?
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

After Missoula well take Lolo Pass to Lewiston, the pretty much direct along the Snake and a Columbia Rivers to Aurora, OR.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Don’t know about the airport itself.... but the city of Billings was depressing to me. I spent two weeks there on two separate occasions, and while the people were nice, the city, it’s layout, and it’s amenities were disappointing.
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

We were blessed with a nice day of flying through the MT/ID mountains today. We had 15-20 mph headwinds the last three hours, our only headwinds of the trip. A shower along the flanks of Mt Hood, washed the bugs clean. N7A is tucked into her new home. Safe and sound. Congrats Aaron! Thanks for letting me be a part of this adventure.

Jughead
MoonlightVFR

Post by MoonlightVFR »

Jughead

I admire you. You are such a Brave Pilot. A Man.

If I am 1500 ft ABG I am on final to approved runway.

Glad you love the C170.

Grady B
gradyb, '54 B N2890C