franklin 220 hp engine conversions

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Roger_Fitts

franklin 220 hp engine conversions

Post by Roger_Fitts »

I have a 220 franklin engine with a constant speed prop in my 175. I would like to hear from other cessna owners who have a similar air plane. I am new to this plane and really like this combination
170C

Re: franklin 220 hp engine conversions

Post by 170C »

It would be meaningful if you could give us the prop data and what kind of performance data you are seeing compared to the GO300.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Roger_Fitts wrote:I have a 220 franklin engine with a constant speed prop in my 175. I would like to hear from other cessna owners who have a similar air plane. I am new to this plane and really like this combination
How was the 220 Franklin installed in your 175? By STC? Who owned or sold that STC? Can you supply copies of the paperwork for our Mx Library?

Owner/Operators of the Franklin engines always speak well of them, as being smooth and powerful. The Franklins had shorter TBO’s than the TCM/LYC engines but, in their heyday were less expensive to overhaul.
Unfortunately the Franklin engines are not widely available and repair/replacement parts are problematical. The older Franklins have severe shortage of available parts and the 220 hp engine has support issues because of it’s type certificate ownership having passed from Air Cooled Motors to eastern European owners (where production certificate issues troubled it’s export/certification) then passed to Pratt/Whitney whose interest was not the reciprocating engine but the turbine line being offered. This info is somewhat dated and may have since changed.

How do you like your installation? Have you had any parts-availability problems? Have you been able to obtain engine mounts? Lord mounts? Cowling isolators? Which specific model prop do you have? Which governor? Any pics?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
lcranton

Post by lcranton »

Hi Roger, I have a 1952 C170B with the PZL Franklin 220 and Hartzell CS prop. I installed the engine using the Franklin Engines STC and have about 550 hours since install. Great performance on the C170B. The engine is very efficient. I usually cruise at 7K to 8 K feet and WOT. Fuel consumption is about 8.5 - 8.7gph with a 125-127 KTAS ( stock 600.6 tires with wheel pants) Of course the ROC is outstanding. I summer at an Airpark that is at 6647 feet and the additional power is great. My aircraft is heavy but not all due to the Franklin engine itself. The CS prop, governor and vacuum pump add weight. My aircraft also has a full panel and a lot of other mods. The C175 installation will give you more fuel which is always good. Send me a PM with your phone number and we can talk.
Larry
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Larry, Can you update us on your experiences with replacement parts and support on the 220 Franklin?

Did YOU do the conversion or was it done previous to your ownership? Do you know what it ultimately cost and how it affected the wt/bal?

Do you have any supporting paperwork you can copy and send to us/me/MxLibrary?
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

I was in Northern part of the USA on salt lake with a group of aircraft enthusiasts[Beechcraft flyin] about 10 years ago when it was spotted a 170 [painted bright yellow] was doing circuits on the salt lake . It’s performance was impressive [temp 100 deg s F] . Even the bonanza /baron owners admitted ,the performance was outstanding .i did want to talk to the owner[pilot] about his aircraft but he didn’t stop. So the question is how many 170,s are fitted with the Franklin engines.